Have Your Say: Will You Go See THE HATEFUL EIGHT On 70MM, Or 4K, Or 42 Inch?

Editor, Europe; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
Have Your Say: Will You Go See THE HATEFUL EIGHT On 70MM, Or 4K, Or 42 Inch?
In a few weeks we can all go watch Quentin Tarantino's new western The Hateful Eight. And the director has a famously strong opinion on HOW you should go watch it: on the biggest possible screen, and specifically projected using a 70mm print run through a projector, with none of that inferior 4K beamer shit.

I've seen 70mm films in the past and thought they looked astonishing. I'm also a big fan of (true) IMAX. But to be honest I've also recently seen plenty of great digital projections as well, and have had plenty of awful experiences with 35mm in Dutch cinemas in the past. And these days, you may need good luck finding a cinema where they still know how to operate the old hardware properly, as Drew McWeeny over at Hitfix discovered.

So our question of the week is: if you plan on seeing The Hateful Eight, will you be making some effort to catch it on 70mm, or will you regretfully not be able to do so, or don't you give a damn about technical formats anyway?

Share your opinion in the comments below, and HAVE YOUR SAY!

Quentin TarantinoSamuel L. JacksonKurt RussellJennifer Jason LeighWalton GogginsCrimeDramaMystery

More about The Hateful Eight

More about Have Your Say

Mr Tough GuyDecember 8, 2015 10:16 AM

Will at least try to see it in 70mm, if I can find a theater, but not sure which cinemas in the Netherlands can still show 70mm, think maybe the Eye in Amsterdam, (think they showed the master in 70 mm a few years back) but if I can't find a 70mm screening in the randstad I will have to settle for whatever the Pathé cinemas will be showing, probably some form of digital projection

Ard VijnDecember 8, 2015 10:23 AM

Good catch on Eye Amsterdam: they showed ALIENS on 70 mm earlier this year, and Lynch's DUNE last year. Which is awesome.

Dennis SDecember 8, 2015 11:01 AM

I live in Denmark, and I'm driving to our capital in order to watch it in 70mm. I'm really, really looking forward to it.

MikeDecember 8, 2015 11:12 AM

I'll just catch it wherever is convenient for me.

rustdogDecember 8, 2015 11:27 AM

I live near Telluride, CO where the movie was filmed. I thought there would be a cinema somewhere close showing it in 70mm. I was wrong. I don't even think there is one in the entire state.

Jeremy A HuntDecember 8, 2015 12:05 PM

Is there a list of where it will be playing in 70mm? I haven't been able to find a list of where it is releasing yet.

Todd HarringtonDecember 8, 2015 12:31 PM

70mm

AleksDecember 8, 2015 1:17 PM

Got excited and checked their website; sadly it's not among their list of films to be shown.

Mr Tough GuyDecember 8, 2015 3:20 PM

It's a januari release in the Netherlands though isn't it, so it might just not be up yet

r0rschachDecember 8, 2015 3:47 PM

I've also been searching for a theater list and finally came across one today. It looks like it's based on talk from theater owners on forums, so it's probably pretty incomplete.

I'm in Dallas but I'm definitely willing to make the trip to Austin for this.

SydneyBlue120dDecember 8, 2015 4:00 PM

All things equal, this is the PQ rank to follow, from the best goin down:
1 Sony R515
2 Sony R515DS
3 Sony R320
4 Dolby Cinema
5 Barco/Christie/NEC 4K
6 Barco/Christie/NEC 2K
7 IMAX (not available for THE HATEFUL EIGHT)
8 70mm
9 35mm

White Screen is obviously much better than Silver Screen.

I strongly suggest avoiding the 70mm projections, do not believe what Tarantino says about projection, You will be heavily disappointed from that kind of projection, not only as image but for audio too (PCM Uncompressed for digital format VS compressed format for 70mm.

AleksDecember 8, 2015 4:16 PM

No I checked ahead, but then I saw this on several websites:
"EYE Cinema, Amsterdam (still in planning stage)"

Fingers crossed.

J HurtadoDecember 8, 2015 4:31 PM

I'm in Dallas, and I'll stay right here.

Paul MDecember 8, 2015 5:19 PM

I'll wait for it to hit Netflix then watch it on my IPod.

Jason SeaverDecember 8, 2015 7:41 PM

70mm. To be fair, though, the Somerville Theatre is practically across the street, they finally got their 70mm system installation finished about a year ago, and the projectionist there is both experienced in general and has had some practice this year (screenings of 2001, THE WILD BUNCH, THE MASTER, and maybe one more). So it's a pretty easy decision.

SydneyBlue120dDecember 9, 2015 5:43 AM

For those of You still dreaming of 70mm projection quality, you can read this press preview screening:

"From the moment the film began with the OVERTURE card depicting a horse-drawn carriage riding through snow in front of a stylized mountain range, Ennio Morricone's big lush score creeping in, there was a problem. The carriage was in the center of the screen, towards the lower third of the image, and right there, almost framing the carriage, was a soft-focus spot that kept dilating in and out of focus.

The film played for two hours, until the intermission, and nothing changed. For the entire thing, that maddening focus issue continued. When the lights came up, I heard several people talking about it, puzzled why no one seemed to be doing anything about it. Eventually, someone announced that they would be showing the second half of the film via digital projection because the 70MM was no longer working."

Ard VijnDecember 9, 2015 8:16 AM

Yeah, that's indeed the article I was referring (and even linking) to.

Ard VijnDecember 9, 2015 8:18 AM

You put Barco/Christie/NEC 2K above IMAX?
I'll go do some researching, but that's a tough claim...

Ard VijnDecember 9, 2015 8:20 AM

Damn...

SydneyBlue120dDecember 9, 2015 8:26 AM

IMAX digital is just a couple of standard Barco 4K DLP projector, limited to 2K DCP because IMAX doesn't support 4K DCP playing, with a silver screen. Stop. Everything else is just pure marketing.

r0rschachDecember 9, 2015 1:04 PM

I lol'ed.

r0rschachDecember 9, 2015 1:08 PM

Is there a resource somewhere that shows what gear is used by specific theaters? It would be nice to figure out which local theaters are using the best stuff.

r0rschachDecember 9, 2015 1:14 PM

I'm still expecting someone's got to be showing this locally, but if not, after the family gathering is over a little jaunt down to Austin with the wife for a brand new Tarantino film would make for a pretty magical Christmas.

tman418December 10, 2015 7:10 PM

For those of you who are still trying to find out which theaters are going to show this in 70mm, Here is a current list of theaters using 70mm for its presentation, courtesy of 70mm.com.

You know what, I'll just copy and paste what I have as of 12/10/2015

European Premiere at the Grand Rex in Paris, France, December 11, 2015

This 70MM theater premiere list has grown very popular during the last week
of November 2015 and first week of Dec 2015. The list has been put together like a jig-saw puzzle based on what people write on internet foras, people who write to in70mm.com and theater web sites. Once the official Weinsten 70MM Premiere List is available, THIS list will be updated to reflect the official 70MM release plan. Please note, this list is based on facts, internet rumors and readers calling their local cinemas for the 7OMM Experience. Although trying to be very precise, in70mm.com cannot take any responsibility for the 100% accuracy. Please contact your local cinema for final 7OMM premiere details.

Australia 70mm release Cinemas - 6 Cinemas

January 14

Melbourne
• The Astor (Mr. Tarantino is rumored to attend)
• The Sun Theater, Yarraville
• The Rivoli, Camberwell

Sydney
• Ritz Cinema, Randwick
• Cremorne Orpheum (Mr. Tarantino is rumored to attend)
• Event Cinemas George Street

Canada 70mm release Cinemas - 4 Cinemas

• Cinéma Banque Scotia, Montreal
• Quartier Latin (French Version), Montreal
• Varsity, Toronto
• Park Theater, Vanouver

Europe 70mm release Cinemas - 18 Cinemas

Austria
• Gartenbau, Vien

Denmark, January 3
• Imperial Bio, Copenhagen

France, January 6
The Roadshow Tour
• Le Grand Rex - Special Screening 11. December 2015
• Kinepolis de Lomme le 26 décembre introduced by Mr CINERAMA FRANCE - François CARRIN
• Grand Mercure d’Elbeuf le 27 décembre
• Cézanne d’Aix en Provence le 30 Décembre
• Apollo Ciné 8 de Rochefort le 2 Janvier
• Gaumont Marignan à Paris le 4 Janvier

Germany, January 28
• Schauburg Cinerama, Karlsruhe
• Zoo Palast, Berlin (Mr. Tarantino and cast to attend German premiere 26. January)
• Savoy, Hamburg
• Lichtburg, Essen

+ possibly 2 additional German screens

Düsseldorf Lichtburg, Gartenbau Vienna and cool cinema

Ireland

Italy, 04.02.2014
Arcadia Cinema, Melzo

Holland
EYE Cinema, Amsterdam (still in planning stage)

Sweden, January 14
• Rigoletto, Stockholm

United Kingdom, 8. January
• Odeon Leicester Sq, London
and 4 more UK screens

USA 70mm release Cinemas - 41 Cinemas
World Premiere, December 7, 2015 - Cinerama Dome, LA

Atlanta, GA
• Regal Atlantic Station 18 IMAX & RPX

Austin, TX
• Alamo Ritz,

Brookline, MA
• The Coolidge Corner theater

Chicago
• Music Box Theater (including installation of a temporary 40ft wide screen)
• Showplace ICON

• MJR Southgate
• South Barrington 30

Edina, MN
• AMC Southdale

Houston, TX
• Edwards Greenway Grand Palace Stadium 24 & IMAX

For the record, nothing is posted yet for Ireland, and it does say ".04.02.2014" for Italy. I'm sure it's a typo and they meant 2016.