Have Your Say: No More Super-heroes Anymore!

Editor, Europe; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
Have Your Say: No More Super-heroes Anymore!
Just over a decade ago, superhero films were a tiny sub-category in the general science fiction and fantasy branches. They occasionally happened, and occasionally they were good, and occasionally they were bad. Then Marvel/Disney started with their cinematic universe, released several highly palatable films, pulled up a hugely successful mash-up of most of them in Avengers, and the rest is... well, I'd like to say history, but it's current times. .

While Marvel is busy further unwrapping their phase 3 and phase 4, Warner Brothers is frantically scrambling to get their own cinematic universe off the ground, while everyone else desperately holds on to the bits of Marvel they acquired in decades long past. Comic-book film fans have never had it so good...

Or do they? You can have too much of a good thing it seems, and when nearly every huge tentpole production needs to be linked to a comic-based über-franchise, a large part of the field certainly feels a bit same-y. Have you tried taking some casual cinema-goers to a theater lately for something fun and spectacular, and ended up not being able to choose something that wasn't a superhero-film?

Even though many people weren't all that happy with Batman v Superman, it still made plenty of money. But did we pass some midway point? Has fatigue set in? In a few weeks, Captain America: Civil War will provide more mega-mash-up action, and in a franchise with a lot of goodwill attached, but I'm wondering how much longer we'll keep going on being interested.

So that brings me to the question of the week: do you want an end to the huge wave of superhero films, or are you happily surfing on it? Chime in, in the comments below, and HAVE YOUR SAY!

(Picture above is the wraparound cover of JLA / Avengers Vol 1 #3, done by the legendary duo of George Perez and Tom Smith)
superheroesAnthony RussoJoe RussoChristopher MarkusStephen McFeelyJoe SimonJack KirbyChris EvansRobert Downey Jr.Scarlett JohanssonSebastian StanActionAdventureSci-Fi

More about Batman vs Superman

More about Captain America: Civil War

More about Have Your Say

Around the Internet

Niels MatthijsApril 12, 2016 10:08 AM

Blockbusters are blockbusters. Doesn't matter if they fill them with superheroes, fast cars or alien spaceships, it's easy digestible pulp that goes well with popcorn.

I can't say I care too much. I'm not a fan, but they're a good excuse for a night out and the alternatives aren't exactly better.

BrakerApril 12, 2016 10:15 AM

I have no complaints. If I get fatigue, I turn to other genres and movies. Every so often, I get fired up and watch a batch of them.

Ard VijnApril 12, 2016 10:51 AM

That picture above brings back memories... When the famous satirical artist Sergio Aragonés drew nearly all heroes in the DC and Marvel universe for two spoof comic books in the nineties, he quipped: "I will be George Perez rolled into one!"

ManateeAdvocateApril 12, 2016 11:29 AM

Zero fatigue here in my realm, then again I've been a comic book fan for almost 40 years now. I've enjoyed just about every comic book themed film I've seen in the last two decades. There's been some shit ones, sure, but overall I'm surfing said wave with aplomb. I'm really enjoying the MCU. I wish DC/Warner would take the same care with their properties.

YojimboApril 12, 2016 12:40 PM

My mate Groo the Wanderer says he would sooner see no more Cop movies or movies that feature the worlds best spy, assassin, criminal or special ops operative.
Oh!... he also would like to say that spoof movies should be banned as they reached their nadir with the Airplane! series and have seldomly been funny since.

MountaineerApril 12, 2016 2:05 PM

Yep, please stop. get back to making real action movies that aren't bloated cartoons full of product placement and adverts for other films. Action movies for grown ups please. I remember films like The wild Bunch and the French Connection or maybe they could try copying the far east. the raid showed the way. Stop the superhero crap please...

Paul MApril 12, 2016 5:17 PM

We've had the boom, it seems the bust is about to set in, all that is required for superhero movies to go away is for a really expensive one to tank. Personally I think the genre is starting to feel a bit worn, cowboy movies were all the rage for decades, they are perhaps the cheapest kind of action movies to make, but they only went away for a few years before coming back.

Jacob PhillipsApril 12, 2016 5:19 PM

Enough, even as a kid I couldn't bear superhero films.

[A]April 12, 2016 6:08 PM

there are like.. three of them a year.

why not ask "no more found footage movies"?

better yet, "no more Oscar bait movies"

TAPIT DRIvERApril 12, 2016 6:49 PM

Your opinion is noted...and discarded.

TAPIT DRIvERApril 12, 2016 6:50 PM

See above response.

TAPIT DRIvERApril 12, 2016 6:52 PM

They will leave when reality tv shows leave... thats been over 20 years, and they are still here.

Make America Grated CheeseApril 12, 2016 8:48 PM

I wanted an end to this crap 20 years ago. Granted, I'd've missed WINTER SOLDIER --- the only one that's really been any good since then --- but I'd've managed alright, and I wouldn't have had to see Batman reduced to a mopey, grumbling, non-heroic cipher.

Make America Grated CheeseApril 12, 2016 8:48 PM

Keep saying it. The whole world revolves on your axis.

Gopal NatarajanApril 12, 2016 9:27 PM

Market saturation is rapidly approaching. It won't be long till even the die-hard fanbois won't be able to deny that the studios are just recycling the same movie over and over again. Literally. Just look at "Avengers" vs. "Avngers 2." And if the movies continue down the path of "Iron Man 3" and "Batman v Superman," the enthusiasm for the future films (stand-alone movies for characters that even seasoned comic book geeks have trouble recalling) is likely to plummet. Then again, that POS "Guardians of the Galaxy" made beaucoup bucks, so you can never underestimate the bad taste of the dedicated fanboi.

curtvileApril 13, 2016 2:48 AM

I have heard this same argument about market saturation now for over a decade. On each they have claimed how people are getting weary of these movies. Personally I have grown weary of comedies, especially romantic comedies, already few decades back. There is still a market for them or some fictional crap of an affair because that "taps to human emotions".
The genre does not define any movie and I am happy that there are romantic comedies to those who want to see them.
As a Science fiction and horror fan I have heard the same argument that the phase will pass so many times, how slashers and alliens have nothing new to give How they will go to oblivion..
It gives joy to those who hate the concept, so let them have their joy.

If the studios stopped doing superheromovies it would not mean they would go all "let us do independent movies" nor it would mean we would get automatically good films, like Ida and Carol.
As said :genre alone does not define if movie is good or bad.

Movies and comics are art, but also commercial aspect. As long as they keep making films that are called flops when they make back their budget, marketing budget and ONLY few hundred million dollars. ..we'll frankly all the same what we say in the interwebs: they will make the movies about them.

So far they have only scratched the mere surface of source material. There is enough for decades of movies even if there were two superhero movies every single month.

jammamonApril 13, 2016 8:41 AM

because those ones aren't attention whores that bother us with 3054354 news every day

jammamonApril 13, 2016 8:42 AM

Fuck those movies

KurtApril 13, 2016 10:47 AM

There is so much content out there, not only the realm of cinema, but also upscale TV series, that it is easy for me to ignore the endless reboots and franchise building Comic Universes. I skip them with a rare exception (usually based on director) every now and again (such as James Gunn, or Bryan Singer)

bricriu .April 13, 2016 1:20 PM

There definitely seems to be a trend towards more adult consumption of sophomoric content, especially in America. Media previously categorized as strictly for children has gained mainstream acceptance for adults to partake in. Are creators pulling away from these genres sometimes immature histories or are we just dumber as a society? Perhaps a bit of both?

Jacob PhillipsApril 13, 2016 4:18 PM

All we can do is support the good films as much as possible and hope that the bloated, kiddie oriented crap like The Avengers goes away as soon as possible. I honestly think audiences have just been brainwashed into watching all these crap superhero/transformers/battleship/etc films.

Paul MApril 13, 2016 9:17 PM

Now that I think about it, why do we even need superhero movies to be live action anymore? I'm quite sure making comic book superhero movies would be better off done as big budget CGI movies rather than live action, for everyone involved. Think about it: there have only been two animated major theatrical releases of the superhero genre - The Incredibles and Batman: Mask of the Phantasam. The Incredibles made a ton of money, Batman not so much, but it was still showing as a TV series at the time and was not marketed very well. Everyone knows by now that all the action scenes of big budget movies are basically CG cartoons anyhow. The switch to live action takes the viewer out of the superhero world and into the world of ordinary reality, but is that even necessary? Young Justice succeeds so well in hooking the viewer into the DCAU, would it really benefit from a live action makeover as a teen centric CW show a la Smallville?

I think the underwhelming performance of recent superhero blockbusters could be beneficial to the 'Untitled Animated Spider-Man Project' due in 2018, as long as it's done right, serious and in the tone of the comic like it should be, not watered down to attract younger children. The result could be superheroes on the big screen predominantly in animated form - as they were always meant to be seen.

iamspoonbenderApril 13, 2016 10:14 PM

At first it was cool, now, it's overkill. We can give it a rest now. I would welcome them back in a few years.

suckit15694April 14, 2016 8:53 AM

The movies will prob fade away . The TV shows not so much . I think they will go on. Daredevil and so on will be on for a while .

wagnerfilmApril 14, 2016 3:51 PM

What I disdain about them is not that they exist per se. If there's an audience for a genre of movie, great, let them have movies. It's that superhero mania has completely killed Hollywood's interest — which was already focused on blockbusters anyway — in mid-budget movies made for adults. Steven Soderbergh has abandoned cinema entirely for television, DiCaprio says there's no way today he could get movies like Blood Diamond and The Aviator financed, and that's even with *his* star power. It's just all comic book shit all the time now. Yes, it has led to a massive surge in superior television programming, so if that's a silver lining, I'll take it. But Marvel's barging into that realm too, so who knows if the next Breaking Bad will fail to get greenlit because Amazon or Netflix would rather do Teen Titans or something? To lose studio support for straight-up dramatic features, or even middle-budget genre work, is dismaying.

Todd BrownApril 14, 2016 4:40 PM

The death of the mid budget movie is in no way shape or form a consequence of the rise of superhero films. Rather, both are symptoms of the same systematic breakdown of the financing and business models that drive the studios. There is no business model to support mid budget movies any more. There simply is not. Outliers aside, you simply cannot make them and turn a profit with any degree of consistency. Therefore they stopped making them and instead focus only on low budget (hello, Blumhouse) and high budget (hello superhero) films. One didn't cause the other, they're the fruit of the same tree. The cause is elsewhere.

omnisemantic1April 19, 2016 12:05 PM

If even a quarter of those budgets gets redirected to some proper sci-fi fare I'm ready to forget all about them right now. I've had fun with the first X-men movies and the first couple of Nolan Batmans, and a few of the Marvel Universe are also worth watching, but the majority is quite simply waste of money. Ofc I didn't grow up with comic books, so to me they'll always be first and foremost a way to ruin a possibly good story...