Have Your Say: Gorgeous, Gorgeouser, Gorgeousest...

Contributing Editor; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
Have Your Say: Gorgeous, Gorgeouser, Gorgeousest...
(Gorgeous: ˈɡɔːdʒəs/ adjective, meaning: beautiful; very attractive.)

Guillermo Del Toro's gothic romance fairy-tale Crimson Peak is currently flailing at box-offices worldwide, despite many people liking it a great deal. In his review, Jason Gorber calls it "...a grand vision...", and "...a rich, sumptuous film...".

He's not exaggerating either, I mean just look at that set above. It truly is wonderful to behold, gorgeous even. So much so that it might make you wonder which film you'd call more gorgeous than Crimson Peak.

So that will be the question for this week (we'll deal with James Bond and Star Wars later...). What is the most gorgeous film you've ever seen? Mind, it doesn't necessarily have to be the best film you ever saw, just the most... well... visually beautiful.

Chime in, in the comments below, and HAVE YOUR SAY!

Crimson PeakGuillermo del ToroMatthew RobbinsMia WasikowskaJessica ChastainTom HiddlestonCharlie HunnamDramaFantasyHorror

More about Have Your Say

More about Crimson Peak

fergus1948October 20, 2015 10:28 AM

Barry Lyndon? Picnic at Hanging Rock? The Fall? Gravity? Hero? The Grand Budapest Hotel? Baraka/Samsara? The Great Beauty? Lawrence of Arabia? I just can't decide!

fergus1948October 20, 2015 10:30 AM

Oh, and Sakuran!

Ard VijnOctober 20, 2015 10:53 AM

Uroš Stojanovic' TEARS FOR SALE (aka. CHARLESTON & VENDETTA) is one of the most beautiful-looking films I have ever seen. And a damn good one too, moving, funny, sexy, and indeed gorgeous.

Ard VijnOctober 20, 2015 10:55 AM

Note to self: judging from the films in this list I have seen, make damn sure to see the films in this list I haven't seen!

MikeOctober 20, 2015 11:46 AM

I just wish they'd release the uncut version somewhere with English subs.

MountaineerOctober 20, 2015 12:35 PM

Josef von sternberg, The Scarlet Empress of course

dustin changOctober 20, 2015 5:13 PM

Blade Runner, Innocence, Institute Benjamenta, The Mirror, Wings of Desire, Days of Heaven, Dead Man, Wuthering Heights (2012), The Fountain, The Assassination of Jesse James, Colossal Youth, Millennium Mambo, Ashes of Time, Queen Margot, Vertical Ray of the Sun, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, The Duke of Burgundy, Rumble Fish...

Cort WilliamsOctober 20, 2015 6:42 PM

Finally got around to viewing Arrow's Blood and Black Lace Blu. Gorgeous. Crimson Peak was a Corman Poe picture with Bava lighting, Not a self-referential pastiche, though. Del Toro made it it's own beast.

Unflinching_EyeOctober 20, 2015 10:36 PM

Such a hard one for me to whittle down. Blade Runner at number 1 (and is especially noteworthy because it takes top spot while depicting a gloomy, dank, polluted city for the entirety of its run time). Recently, Under the Skin is stunningly beautiful from first frame to last, and having rewatched Duke of Burgundy the other night (and loved it even more on the second viewing) that has to mentioned as well. Suspiria as well. I'll probably be back as I think of more.

Unflinching_EyeOctober 20, 2015 10:41 PM

Good call on The Fountain and TCTTHWAHL.

Unflinching_EyeOctober 20, 2015 10:44 PM

Agreed with Picnic at Hanging Rock and Gravity.

Unflinching_EyeOctober 20, 2015 10:57 PM

More: Mad Max: Fury Road; Pascale Ferran's Lady Chatterley; Aguirre: Wrath of God; The Third Man (Alida Valli made it onto my list twice). I'll probably be back for a third one after work, this one's too much fun (and I have to say one of my favourite regular features here!).

Oh Goo TakOctober 21, 2015 3:03 AM

The Lat Supper 2012 from Lu Chuan.

Ard VijnOctober 21, 2015 4:03 AM

True, that.

greeny78October 21, 2015 8:34 AM

Tetro, Amer, Kill Bill, Enter the void

Dave FormanOctober 21, 2015 12:38 PM

I think the films of Tarsem are a visually sumptious feast. The Cell, The Fall, and even Mirror/Mirror are full of amazing set-pieces and incredible shots.

Unflinching_EyeOctober 21, 2015 2:38 PM

Agreed

Tom HardyOctober 21, 2015 4:29 PM

Crimson Peak has a pretty good set and I loved the way the walls bled red clay. But the film's beauty/ cinematography isn't better than any of these ... 2001: A Space Odyssey, Hero, Alien, Blade Runner, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Shining, Sunshine, In The Mood For Love, The Tale Of Iya, Thin Red Line, Tree of Life, Stalker, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Stoker, There Will Be Blood, Ida, Schindler’s List, The Fountain, Apocalypse Now, The Searchers, The Godfather, The Third Man, Road To Perdition, Valhalla and many more.

MikeOctober 21, 2015 6:44 PM

Definitely. You can practically spot the exact time in the movie when they start making cuts. I love the first twenty minutes or so, and then it starts to get kind of rough for me.

Ruth LauraOctober 22, 2015 1:26 AM

Andrei Rublev. Mirror ("Zerkalo").

JigvellOctober 22, 2015 9:05 AM

I saw many beautiful films. Exiled comes to mind as I rewatched it a day ago.

Darren MurrayOctober 22, 2015 5:54 PM

Watched Crimson Peak last week. Visually its one of the best films I have seen this year. Put me in mind of Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, which is a favourite of mine.

Most films by Wong Kar Wai are gorgeous to look at especially 2046 and the Grandmaster.