Have Your Say: To Boldly Go... Where?

Editor, Europe; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
Have Your Say: To Boldly Go... Where?
Yesterday the news hit the Internet that the Star Trek franchise keeps Trekking, and not just in cinemas but also as a new streaming television series.

My first reaction was "Cool!", but afterwards it got me thinking: exactly WHY do I think this is cool? What more do I want out of that particular universe?

You see, I'm old enough to remember watching the original series as a four-year-old kid, on our black and white television. I thought all the spaceships were awesome and all the monsters were scary. For a while I also assumed it all was real, as people were actually landing on the moon at the time.

Later, when I grew to be a Star Wars fanatic over The Empire Strikes Back, I still had fond memories of the original series, and as I started to get into reading serious science fiction, I appreciated the many ideas and writers Gene Roddenberry had managed to get in front of the general public.

When Star Trek: The Next Generation hit television I was already leaving high school for college, and frankly I wasn't taken with it. By the time regular exposure had finally warmed me to the characters, years later, that series had already devolved into a self-aware smarmy soap In space.

While I occasionally really liked some of the cinema excursions, I've only ever dabbled a bit with all of the later Star Trek series. I do have to give props to Deep Space Nine though, for doing an airport reality show spoof, over a decade before we had airport reality shows.

So... what do I want to get out of a new Star Trek series? Do I want it to boldly go where no-one has gone before, and is such a thing even possible after literally hundreds of previous episodes in that universe?

Or do I want more of the same? And what IS the same? Do I want to see the travels of a cocky Captain Kirk, big-banging anything even remotely resembling human femininity? Do I want a large cast of characters concerned with who dates who, or whose kids, or whose clones, or whose inter-dimensional copies? Do I want to see how the stuff we've taken for granted for decades got invented?

Damn... I'm hard-pressed to come up with anything.

But enough about me: what do YOU think? What do you want a new Star Trek series to be?
Chime in, in the comments below, and HAVE YOUR SAY!
Star Trek

More about Have Your Say

Edgardo IncenellaNovember 3, 2015 6:48 PM

I'm from Argentina, and I always tought than a latin spin-off could be great. It could focus on third-world issues and board them with a fresh perspective.

Ard VijnNovember 3, 2015 7:15 PM

For a while I toyed with a Star Trek storyline that took place in another possible universe, where the federation never happened and the galaxies were united under a giant, agressively expanding empire, with Starfleet consisting of warships full of Spartan-like soldiers. One of those ships, led by a wise warrior-poet general, would accidentally be warped into "our" universe, with the federation in full bloom, and the series would follow these born-and-bred fighters as they tried to make sense of a universe dedicated to exploration and peace.

Oh Goo TakNovember 4, 2015 4:16 AM

There is no third world in Trek.

RobNovember 4, 2015 8:54 AM

The biggest issue would be when to set the series I think. There is a lot of conflicting lore in Star Trek that could be fleshed out more, and while Enterprise did lay the foundation for the Federation and show the interactions with the Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites, there was still a lot that was not delved into. Maybe a TOS era show would be good, since there was still a 'wild west' feel to space exploration, and perhaps they could go into what happened with the Kelvin that did NOT encouter the Narada.

RobNovember 4, 2015 8:58 AM

I read a fanfic that dealt with something similar called 'Infinite Diversties: Book One', where the Eugenics War went differently and everyone came out augmented and Starfleet was a full on military organization. Very good story...

RobNovember 4, 2015 9:01 AM

A Latin captain was touched upon in the reboot, Captain Robau was Cuban, and I liked the character and would have liked to have known more about him.

Paul MNovember 4, 2015 6:58 PM

I want the movies to "boldly go forward" - with a new crew of fresh characters, on a new ship, and tell new stories, not retreads of old stories, "timidly retracing worn paths" and new actors desperately trying to put a younger, hipper spin on legendary characters.

For TV I want a CG animated anthology series set in the Trek universe. This way you can bring in the still living members of the original crew to voice younger versions of themselves. Stories can be set in any time period, in familiar ships or newly created ones.

Also for TV I want an ongoing commitment to a few years of miniseries starring the crews of Next Generation, DS9 and Voyager. Location or ship doesn't matter, just write stories involving whichever actors you can bring in. I want to see how these people are getting on with their lives.

One more thing - years ago the entire cast of TOS reunited to record lines for a PC game that never made it to completion, called Secret of Vulcan Fury. Voice recording was completely finished. Now that James Doohan and Leonard Nimoy are no longer with us, it would be great to see the game resurrected, either as a game or a CG movie.

Paul MNovember 4, 2015 8:26 PM

Your Spartan guys sound a bit too close to Klingons to sway the ST bigwigs I think. How about a renegade Klingon crew trying to fit in on a star fleet task force? They would need a starfleet first officer for it to work, of course. Fans have been trying to get a Whorf series off the ground for years without success, maybe through him in as captain?

Ard VijnNovember 5, 2015 6:01 AM

That's a great idea actually!