Watch Ellen Page in New FLATLINERS Trailer: Does It ... Flatline?

Managing Editor; Dallas, Texas (@peteramartin)
Watch Ellen Page in New FLATLINERS Trailer: Does It ... Flatline?

Remake has evidently become a dirty word in Hollywood; the preferred marketing description is "re-imagining" or "re-thinking" or "re-revision" or somesuch nonsense. In any event, a new version of Flatliners is on its way and the first trailer has been unleashed.

Two aspects draw my attention. The first is Ellen Page, who has the lead role and looks very authentic; the actress has been focusing on indie films like Into the Forest and Freeheld and Tallulah of late, and it's a pleasure to see her at the center of a big Hollywood production. (I can't help remembering that she was touted for the lead in Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell, and this reminds me of that.)

The second aspect is the presence of Danish director Niels Arden Oplev, perhaps best known for the original, very good The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I haven't seen his last two features (Dead Man Down, Speedwalking), but he seems to have added a welcome layer of visual style.

The first trailer revolves around Page, with Nina Dobrev in second position, but the cast also includes Diego Luna and Kiersey Clemons, so I'd expect future trailers to showcase their roles. Kiefer Sutherland also returns, through in a different role than in the 1990 original directed by Joel Schumacher.

Oh, almost forgot: Ben Ripley is credited for the screenplay; his credits include Source Code, so maybe he's cooked up a few cool surprises as well.

Watch the trailer below. Flatliners is due for theatrical release in the U.S. on September 29. Does the trailer intrigue? Or, well ... flatline?

Diego LunaEllen PageKiefer SutherlandKiersey ClemonsNiels Arden Oplev
ManateeAdvocateJune 13, 2017 12:50 PM

Jesus. WTAF Hollywood? Hard pass. I'll stick with the original thank you very much.

Peter MartinJune 13, 2017 1:32 PM

Did you like the original? It's been quite a while since I've watched it, but once the premise had been laid out, I steadily lost interest. Does it hold up better for you?

ManateeAdvocateJune 13, 2017 1:51 PM

I did and still do very much. I watch it about every two to three years, then again my tastes are not of supreme high quality compared to others on this site. If the original didn't grab ahold of your attention then, I'm thinking it might not now either. Comparatively though, based solely on the trailer here, I'm claiming that the original is superlative to this one (sight unseen).

omnisemantic1June 13, 2017 1:59 PM

I def agree with you. The original movie had a lot of potential, but after a certain point it just lost all intrigue and me as a viewer in the process.
So for once I'd actually welcome a remake, but at least from this trailer it looks like its going down pretty much the same route. Sure it looks neat and all, plus there are always bonus points to be had for having Ellen Page as a lead in anything mainstream, but I doubt I'll be catching it at cinemas...

the hong Kong cavaliersJune 13, 2017 2:14 PM

You can count me in the intrigue category ... really liked the Original , the Adam baldwin story could have done without but the others were great . One of the last true great Schumacher movie

Peter MartinJune 13, 2017 2:17 PM

Fair enough! Thanks for your comments.

Peter MartinJune 13, 2017 2:18 PM

I like to be an optimist, but you make good points.

Peter MartinJune 13, 2017 2:20 PM

To my reckoning, the original was not an unassailable classic, which makes it a more likely target for a remake. Yet I'm surprised at how many people really liked the original, so I am feeling more inclined to give it another shake. Thanks.