Cronenberg Fans Rejoice! Classics RABID and DEAD RINGERS Coming to Blu-ray From Scream Factory
It's been a great couple of years for fans of Canadian body-horror pioneer David Cronenberg.
While I've not been terribly impressed with his contemporary work, I have been pleased at the wealth of re-releases of his classic work on Blu-ray over several labels. The latest pair hitting home video are his late '70s Marilyn Chambers vehicle, Rabid, and the Jeremy Ironsiest Jeremy Irons film ever, Dead Ringers, featuring a double dose of your daily recommended dosage of Irons. Both discs hit store shelves in November, and we have the details below.
Rabid, while not his finest film, is definitely a lot of fun and was actually the first Cronenberg film I saw on the big screen at an all-night horrorthon back in the mid-90s. That night remains one of my fondest memories of my early cinephilia, and Scream Factory's new release is packed to the gills with supplemental material for fans to enjoy.
Rabid November 22nd, 2016
Cronenberg’s provocative take on the vampire mythos will makes its Blu-ray debut with the release of the Collector’s Edition Blu-ray of Rabid on November 22nd, 2016 from Scream Factory.
Brimming with bonus features, Rabid includes over 90 minutes of brand new bonus content, including new interviews with author Jill C. Nelson and Marilyn Chambers’ personal appearances manager Ken Leicht, and actress Susan Roman. Fans can pre-order their copies by visiting ShoutFactory.com
After undergoing radical emergency surgery, Rose (former adult film star Marilyn Chambers in her first leading role in a mainstream film) develops an insatiable desire for blood. She searches out victims to satisfy her incurable craving, infecting them with an unknown disease which, in turn swiftly drives them insane… and makes them equally bloodthirsty.
Follow the lovely but deadly Rose through her terrifying ordeal as victim by victim, the spreading circle of casualties grows... until no one can escape their grisly fate of becoming... Rabid.
Rabid Bonus Features
- NEW 2K scan from the negative at the director David Cronenberg’s preferred aspect ratio (1.66:1)
- NEW audio interview with author Jill C. Nelson (Golden Goddesses: 25 Legendary Women of Classic Erotic Cinema, 1968-1985) and Marilyn Chambers’ personal appearances manager Ken Leicht
- NEWYoung and Rabid – an interview with actress Susan Roman (33 minutes)
- Audio Commentary with writer-director David Cronenberg
- Audio Commentary with William Beard, author of The Artist as Monster: The Cinema of David Cronenberg
- Archival interview with David Cronenberg (21 minutes)
- Interview with executive producer Ivan Reitman (13 minutes)
- Interview with co-producer Don Carmody (16 minutes)
- From Stereo to Video – A video essay by Caelum Vatnsdal, author of They Came from Within: A History of Canadian Horror Cinema (26 minutes)
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spot
- Radio Spots (U.S. and U.K.)
- Still Gallery