Ever Wanted Something More? Watch Ben Wheatley's First HIGH RISE Trailer

Ever Wanted Something More? Watch Ben Wheatley's First HIGH RISE Trailer
Ben Wheatley's adaptation of JG Ballard's High Rise alternately confused and delighted audiences on the festival circuit with - in broad strokes - those who turned up looking forward to the new Tom Hiddleston / Luke Evans film left wondering what had just been done to them while the Wheatley / Ballard set, who knew what was about to be done to them, by and large left rather more appreciative of the experience. This is a dark and stylish and twisted descent into madness and with the film having freshly landed US distribution the first trailer has arrived online for the UK release.

Packaged as a sort of faux promotional video for the high rise complex itself the characters and at least tastes of the story are on display here but it's the culture of the thing, the building itself and the dynamics it creates, that are most front and center. So if you're ready to enter the high rise, check out the trailer below.

ben wheatleyhigh risejg ballardluke evanstom hiddlestontrailer

More about High Rise

MehliensDecember 14, 2015 11:08 AM

Looks fantastic. Cant wait to see this.

arturoDecember 14, 2015 1:06 PM

Interesting , got high hopes for this.

UilickMcGeeDecember 14, 2015 4:02 PM

Looks great. Haven't read the book, but this looks like it's rich in that skewed, f-ed up reality I am oh so fond of...

KurtDecember 14, 2015 4:37 PM

This trailer is better than the film.

MehliensDecember 14, 2015 5:37 PM

Highly doubt that. Wheatley is a future master of cinema and not unlike Jodorowsky or Kubrick actually having a vision and the skill to deliver. High-Rise will be a considered a masterpiece for those who know what to look for and less so for those who don't. Since its also a Ballard adaption I'd say Cronenberg's Crash is a testament to that. (And Crash is clearly an incredible adaption indeed)

Todd BrownDecember 14, 2015 9:29 PM

I like the film a lot better than Kurt.

cjohnstonDecember 14, 2015 11:11 PM

..are you stating this from the perspective of already having seen this.????

...or are you saying this from the perspective of a heretofor unfounded and possibly accurate possibly completely false assumption.?

cjohnstonDecember 14, 2015 11:15 PM

Along with the script/and storyline presented thus far ~ I'm getting a definite vibe and "nod" from the likes of Snowpiercer, Mr. Nobody, Dredd, and actually Automata..

*ALL of which are Just a Few of my Favorite things..

cjohnstonDecember 14, 2015 11:15 PM

Along with the script/and storyline presented thus far ~ I'm getting a definite vibe and "nod" from the likes of Snowpiercer, Dredd, Mr. Nobody, and actually Automata..

~ ALL of which are Just a Few of my Favorite things..

cjohnstonDecember 14, 2015 11:16 PM

Along with the script/and storyline presented thus far ~ I'm getting a definite vibe and "nod" from the likes of Mr. Nobody, Snowpiercer, Dredd, and actually Automata..

- ALL of which are Just a Few of my Favorite things..

PsychoMantis18December 15, 2015 6:32 AM

You have your head so far up your arse it's unbelievable. All you did there was pretentiously name-drop without actually trying to support your claims in the slightest. To compare Wheatley to Kubrick is filmic ignorance at its finest.

MehliensDecember 15, 2015 6:46 AM

I don't have to support my "claims", you can just watch Wheatleys films and decide for yourself. Its pretty obvious, especially after the masterpiece A Field in England that Wheatley is on a path to become one of the great. I'm sorry for you if you don't see that.

ToryKDecember 15, 2015 9:17 AM

Well, Kurt works here and his review is linked above, so...

MehliensDecember 15, 2015 11:38 AM

Oh and btw my retort was directed against a post that simply stated "the trailer is better than the film". And you call me out? Hilarious.

MehliensDecember 15, 2015 11:54 AM

Id rather say it gives the sexual / violence vibe of Shivers and Clockwork Orange as well as the broader social themes that come with it. It even has the 70's look all over it from the two movies I've mentioned.

MehliensDecember 15, 2015 11:58 AM

Yes and everything that is painted in a negative light in his review (in a passive aggressive way) is the stuff that I'm looking forward to the most. But hey I like all the depraved stuff in Jodorowskys works as well, its to be expected in this type of adaption.

KurtDecember 15, 2015 3:00 PM

Chacun à son goût! It's all in the execution!
I'm also a huge big fan of both Jodorowski and Cronenberg's Crash) and am familiar enough with both Ballard and this project to know exactly what I was gettin into.

And yet....Was still let down by the awkward pacing and paper-thin ciphers on screen.

High Rise the trailer is seductive. High Rise the film is exhausting! I can't wait to get the Portishead cover of SOS on my ipod, but one time with the film was probably enough for me. We'll see...

KurtDecember 15, 2015 3:12 PM

Except that when I said that. I have seen both. And am thus qualified to make that judgement.

MehliensDecember 15, 2015 3:55 PM

Alright, I'll get back to you and point you to my own review as soon as I get to see it. I wonder what you thought of A Field in England then. I personally thought it incredibly well done in execution, pacing and in all the weirdness. Well the weirdness is actually quite logic once the twist at the end explains all the characters actions. Anyway I can't for the life of me believe Wheatley blundered this time.

MehliensDecember 15, 2015 3:56 PM

True, but I found that out through a comment. It wasn't obvious at first. ^^

cjohnstonDecember 15, 2015 7:16 PM

...well, ..............i, perhaps more so than a lot of folks around, can type and "dialogue" in damning confusing enigmatic labyrinthine and consternating figure eights.

I just found Kurt's comment, ..............Confusing.
BUT.
i didn't notice the fact that his review Was linked in in the first place; ~ so Danke for that edit/correction.

cjohnstonDecember 15, 2015 7:20 PM

....Familiar with C.Orng, but not so much with Shivers.

......Thanks .! .....just put it on my "to-see" list.

PsychoMantis18December 15, 2015 7:27 PM

Except that I was replying to your response..... Duh!

PsychoMantis18December 15, 2015 7:37 PM

Time will reveal the stupidity of your absurd predictions.

And no, you don't HAVE to support your claims. I was simply pointing out that you can't.

PsychoMantis18December 15, 2015 7:39 PM

At the very least you're more qualified than someone who has blindly made up their mind without actually seeing the film.

J HurtadoDecember 15, 2015 9:58 PM

We had this discussion before I saw the film, but this might be my favorite of Wheatley's that I've seen.

PETE TOMBSDecember 16, 2015 1:00 PM

No it's not. Both are REALLY good. And I'm qualified to say that. Having seen both :-). I can't wait to see the film again.

KurtDecember 17, 2015 8:36 AM

I like Wheatley a lot. I've interviewed him a couple times, hung out with him at a festival or two, and his first 3 pictures: Down Terrace, SightSeers and Kill List, I deeply adore. On paper, A Field In England is everything I like about a film. Idiosyncratic, singular in vision, laced with dry humour, etc. but I didn't love it as much as his previous films. Highrise, even less, the mean-spirited tone in his films is getting stronger, and it is starting to lose me.

If you are curious about my thoughts on that one, I posted them up at my other site: http://www.rowthree.com/2013/0...