Have Your Say: What Will The Next ALIEN / PROMETHEUS Film Be About?

Contributing Editor; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
Have Your Say: What Will The Next ALIEN / PROMETHEUS Film Be About?
(Never mind the image, just having a bit of fun...also, BIG SPOILER ALERT!)

While Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant isn't exactly setting the box office on fire, it's also nowhere near as expensive as many of the other "event" films of the past few months. This means it has a pretty good chance of breaking even at least, especially when you add the international market. And as it keeps a big franchise on the map, that's basically an economic win.

So will Ridley get to make a third Prometheus film, continuing the saga of David? The ending of Alien: Covenant sure would allow for it.
In the comments beneath our articles about Alien: Covenant (like Kwenton's review, Matt's editorial, or our team's round-up) we already see plenty of hypothesizing about where Ridley might go with this story. Meld it (even more) with Blade Runner? Directly attach it to the first Alien?

Thinking up the next plotline allows for hope, bug-fixing, sarcasm, satire even. In short: it's fun! So the question of the week is this: what will, or should, or might the next Alien or Prometheus film be about?

Chime in, in the comments below, and HAVE YOUR SAY!

More about Alien: Covenant

Ard VijnMay 30, 2017 10:23 AM

I have two pieces of conjecturing:

One: In the third film, engineers from another planet investigate what the hell happened on their homeworld, and follow the Covenant's trail to Origae-6. There, they encounter David and an army of thousands of super-aliens, which he intends to let loose upon the universe as his ultimate life-form, to destroy all engineers and their offspring (humans included). After the engineers battle David and nearly everyone dies horribly, a last surviving engineer lifts off with a boomerang-ship full of black eggs. But he crashes the ship on LV-426 after a facehugger "hugs" him while he's strapped in the pilot's chair.
Meanwhile back on Earth, the Weyland Yutani company is pissed off by having now lost two ships and a colony. They put super-synths on board of all their ships, and re-route their fleet to search for clues. The Nostromo eventually is the one picking up the signal from LV-426...

Two: In the third film, David flies the Covenant to Origae-6, but his botched landing causes a global catastrophy, changing the planet into an unlivable desert. With his immortality, research and thousands of human guinea pigs intact, David spends thousands of years engineering legless alien life-forms kilometers in length who can survive in the desert. Their evolution changes their body-chemistry from acid to a cinnamon-like substance which causes hallucinations and visions...

Wait, what?!

rnlolMay 30, 2017 10:33 AM

If the film tops out at around $250M wordwide as it's currently projected to, it's a flop and I doubt we'll be seeing Prometheus 3.

Best case scenario: the failure of Covenant sends Fox back to Blomkamp's alternate Alien 3.

KurtMay 30, 2017 10:49 AM

Please no.
Blomkamp currently has his OATS Studio project on the go, hopefully that will keep him busy with original material instead of folding him into an ongoing franchise.

ZetobeltMay 30, 2017 10:52 AM

The next Alien film will be about the studios making money. :(

KurtMay 30, 2017 10:54 AM

As long as Michael Fassbender's DAVID remains the focus of the third Prometheus, I'm happy. This appears to be the case. I hope that Scott never actually dot-to-dot explains how the Engineer ship got onto LV426. I'd love for him to take a page out of Le Guin or Reynolds in terms of culture-world building, and I hope the ENGINEERS are in the film in some capacity, I doubt their 'redundancy' is limited to a single city on a single planet.

Todd BrownMay 30, 2017 10:56 AM

Very much correct. They're going to lose a LOT of money on this one and that'll be the end of it. It's the end result of the audience response to fan reaction to Prometheus, really ... people still went to see Prometheus for the experience of returning to that world and because they wanted to test it for themselves rather than accepting the negative press and fan reactions. But audiences overwhelmingly turned on Prometheus and it turned into one of those 'fool me once' sort of scenarios ... Covenant will do good numbers on streaming and rental, I'm sure, but TONS of the people who felt they were burned by Prometheus will never have even considered spending money to see this one in the theater.

KurtMay 30, 2017 10:59 AM

If there is one director I would love to see make an ALIEN film, it is Scottish director Lynne Ramsay. Now there is about a billion to one chance this would ever happen, but her particular framing and timing sensibilites would be great. If she brought along Samantha Morton and Tilda Swinton, even better.

KurtMay 30, 2017 11:02 AM

In a way, COVENANT is that kind of compromise that pleases nobody. The small cult of Prometheus feel upset that Scott injected so much 'generic xeromorph chest bursting' into the ambitious second trilogy, while the Alien superfans felt there was far too much Prometheus in Covenant, with the focus on David's god-complex and disgust with his makers. Try to please everyone, you typically end up pleasing nobody, and the box office is very much bearing this out. That was a precipitous box office drop on Memorial day weekend.

Elytron FrassMay 30, 2017 11:05 AM

I have zero hope for a third installment in this prequel trilogy happening...but i hope it does just for closures sake even if it's something of a complete antithesis to what fans (such as myself) expect/desire. No matter what happens -it'll never ruin the original trilogy's way of keeping me fascinated.

My ideal sequel would involve David, some remnant engineers, and some surviving but new characters of the Covenant. It would span 3 planetoids: Origai-6, LV-223 and LV-426. David's arc would mirror Pinocchio like his arc in Covenant mirrors Frankenstein. Let him figure out a way to become a "real boy" through furthering experimentation with the black goo, turning him into an advanced biomechanoid behemoth, tortured by his transformations. get him facehugged and sit him on that jockey chair to end this prequel nonsense once and for all.

Ard VijnMay 30, 2017 11:13 AM

Well, with the virus targeting all living non-plant creatures, you can forget about the "single city" thing. That whole planet is wasted, seas, insects and all. Actually I'm curious what that would do to the plantlife of a planet in ten years...

Ard VijnMay 30, 2017 11:21 AM

Maybe. It's currently doing twice as well oversees as it does domestically, and China will only get it in two weeks. My guess is we'll see it end up a good deal higher than $250M. But even so, $250M isn't much worse than PROMETHEUS' end result of $400M.

Note that PROMETHEUS cost almost half as much again as COVENANT did ($130M versus $97M), and never even managed to recoup domestically.

MehliensMay 30, 2017 11:51 AM

Don't forget Covenant is R rated. That's makes a huge difference and for an R rated film it's doing ok

MehliensMay 30, 2017 11:52 AM

Yup that's pretty much what happened

MehliensMay 30, 2017 11:53 AM

That short Blomkamps studio just released is god awful. It's the least appealing of all he did so far because it's totally unoriginal. A complete rip on Aliens and some generic invasion film and it looks unbelievably amateurish with it trying to copy his hero movies so hard and yet not even coming close to recapturing those high marks

Ard VijnMay 30, 2017 11:58 AM

It pleased you and me, didn't it though? ;-)

MehliensMay 30, 2017 12:01 PM

Haha yeah that was my first thought too. Then again it's a comic book kind of story so I didn't mind those small issues

rnlolMay 30, 2017 12:52 PM

Since I actually really like Alien 3, I never knew how much I wanted an alternate sequel to Aliens until Blomkamp shared that concept art and that project started gaining momentum. I was disappointed when it was shelved, and then even more disappointed when I ended up not much liking Covenant.

And I like Prometheus too, but if I had to choose two years ago between an alternate sequel to Aliens and a sequel to Prometheus I'd definitely have chosen Blomkamp's film.

KurtMay 30, 2017 1:00 PM

I like it a lot. So yes!

KurtMay 30, 2017 1:01 PM

I'm not saying I'm deep in love with it or anything, but I don't want Blomkamp or any 'obvious' choice of director anywhere near the franchise. I'd like some unconventional choices if they are going to continue to make these films as a franchise-universe kind of thing.

KurtMay 30, 2017 1:02 PM

Not the bees!!!

rnlolMay 30, 2017 1:09 PM

$250M is quite a bit worse than $400M. Prometheus just about broke even with that gross, which is why it looks like Fox only greenlit a sequel on the basis that it: A) be considerably cheaper; B) be branded as an Alien film; and C) feature Xenomorph action that they could stick in the trailer. Now that this is doing even worse despite all those safety measures, I think Prometheus 3 looks very unlikely.

I do think $250M is probably a low estimate, but $350M+ is a longshot, and that's likely what it needs to be profitable.

In hindsight they probably should've stuck with their original August date (which is where they have The Predator next year), cause they're also going to get swept aside by all the upcoming tentpoles now.

ManateeAdvocateMay 30, 2017 1:30 PM

Oooo. Killer choice!

rnlolMay 30, 2017 1:30 PM

Was there really negative press though? A lot of the coverage of Covenant has brought up the supposedly negative reception of Prometheus, but it's "Certified Fresh" at 72% on RT with an average rating of 6.9/10, which is hardly negative (Covenant is at 71% and 6.4/10). It always seemed to me like the negativity was coming from a very passionate and vocal minority. I'd also assume general audiences had no idea Prometheus was connected to Alien.

KRogers86May 30, 2017 2:54 PM

I want to see something totally different. I would like to see the introduction of a master race of Engineers (or as Jon Spaiths called them, Grand Engineers). I want their planet to be a Giger-esque nightmare landscape (no more of these sweeping terrestrial vistas as we've seen in the last two films). I want to see David breed a pack of xenomorphs using the colonists in hypersleep aboard the Covenant, and take them to the Grand Engineers planet to show them that he too can create not only life...but the "perfect organism". Of course he'll have an ulterior motive as well...

And to add more fuel to the fire, we have a heavily armed search party that was dispatched to ascertain the fate of Peter Weyland, and the crew of the Prometheus. They will end up at the Grand Engineers planet, and all hell will break loose.

Oh, Id prefer them to reveal the space jockey as an actual alien creature...not a suit. Basically retcon the retcon.

This would be more of a sci-fi/action film that could appeal more to general audiences and fans alike. Probably the best route to go.

MehliensMay 30, 2017 3:04 PM

Nice one!

Ard VijnMay 30, 2017 7:52 PM

Niii-i-i-i-i-i-i-ice!!

Ard VijnMay 30, 2017 7:52 PM

I'd pay for that.

KurtMay 31, 2017 10:50 AM

Also, since I relish any chance to link to this any time I can: http://screenanarchy.com/20...

JosephMay 31, 2017 7:59 PM

I what engineers and neomorph and xenomorph in the next alien movie and action figures to be made.