TWIN PEAKS: More Cherry Pie & Coffee In Store for Agent Cooper

Editor, U.S.; New England (@m_galgana)
TWIN PEAKS: More Cherry Pie & Coffee In Store for Agent Cooper
My log tells me that Kyle MacLachlan is coming back to Twin Peaks. Or rather, The Hollywood Reporter.

Earlier today, Agent Cooper appeared in full character --- at Showtime's panel at the Television Critics Association press tour. MacLachlan joined Showtime president David Nevins onstage, as Nevins announced: "He'll (MacLachlan) be leading the show, and there'll be more cast coming on as we roll through."

"You look like you need a damn fine cup of coffee," MacLachlan said to Nevins.

While Nevins didn't appear to comment on his own caffeine intake, any plot, actors, or directors, he did mention show creators David Lynch and Mark Frost. "I think it's something they've been toying with for a long time. I think in David's mind, 25 years seemed like the magic number."

"I'm very excited to return to the strange world of Twin Peaks. May the forest be with you," MacLachlan told the crowd.

Twins Peaks will begin production in 2015 and will premiere on Showtime sometime in 2016.

David LynchKyle MacLaclanShowtimeTwin Peaks
Mehaillien ThundercrossJanuary 12, 2015 8:11 PM

Twin Peaks was always one of those shows I enjoyed in principle more than entertainment. That said, I support this news.

Dr. Storm CrowJanuary 12, 2015 9:23 PM

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Michael LaplanteJanuary 12, 2015 9:56 PM

I am stoked for this.

Twin Peaks was lightning-in-a-bottle, setting the precedent for later serial mystery / sci-fi series like X-Files (David D appeared in both) and... much later... LOST. Every time those dreamy, lethargic notes of Badalamenti's theme song started I was transported to this place of magic and mystery in the foggy and wet Pacific Northwest. (It helped that I live here and there is something magical about the place...)

Ryo ShenmueJanuary 12, 2015 11:29 PM

Yeah...if it isn't for the fact that Twin Peaks is not the series that "set the precedent" for The X-Files(that is Kolchak) and for the fact that Lost is one of the worst series of the last 10 years.

Michael LaplanteJanuary 13, 2015 2:20 AM

Yup, Chris Carter acknowledged Kolchak as his inspiration for the 'monster of the week' format (Darren McGavin's guest appearances were a nice tribute).

Twin Peaks is what sold networks on the idea that viewers would stayed tuned to see an ongoing storyline continued week after week (the mythology storyline). Previously, mystery/ sci-fi series were mostly self-contained episodes from week to week.

And unorthodox FBI agent, Dale Cooper, with his willingness to embrace the unearthly, is a prototypical Fox Mulder.

I'm a big fan of TP and XF. I will not defend LOST at all. It went deeply off the rails during those last couple seasons, ended terribly.

drachehexeJanuary 13, 2015 8:00 AM

Always on Showtime or HBO. Screw them.

Todd BrownJanuary 13, 2015 10:54 AM

Yeah, fuck those guys for making stuff people want to watch.

Izzy LeeJanuary 13, 2015 10:59 AM

Best comment. Todd wins.

drachehexeJanuary 13, 2015 11:08 AM

No, fuck them for always having to put the stuff people want to watch on the pay cable networks. It being on Showtime they'll probably try to get "edgier" with gratuitous nudity and sex scenes and the like (required content for any HBO and Showtime produced show) which is stupid because the show was great as it was on ABC.

That and I ain't paying 20 bucks a month just so I can watch it.

drachehexeJanuary 13, 2015 11:09 AM

He doesn't even have a clue to what I was saying so, no, not best comment. Fuck Showtime, not the show.

Farty FartsalotJanuary 13, 2015 11:43 AM

An absolute goddamn mistake to bring this show back. Just leave it alone, for Christ's sake.

marshy00January 13, 2015 11:54 AM

Fuck Showtime for what? Not being free? And "fuck them"(?) for putting the stuff people want to see on pay cable networks? Fuck who exactly? Who do you think is paying for this to get made? Or should everything of the highest quality by the most talented people just be dropped in your lap gratis coz you don't wanna part with $20?

YojimboJanuary 13, 2015 12:31 PM

WHAT! you mean you and most people do not walk around in the nude and have sex.
Gosh I had no idea I was so edgy.

Truth_Quest30January 13, 2015 7:59 PM

Fans care about seeing the show, not the network.
Also, a broadcast network might not think the economics makes sense to give a sequel 9 weeks, but pay cable apparently does.
Also, less censorship on cable. You see that as a negative, I don't.

Truth_Quest30January 13, 2015 8:02 PM

HBO's True Detective also had a Twin Peaks vibe.