Arrow Video USA Announces Its First 4 Months Of Releases. Jaws Drop.
Arrow Video USA begins their assault on North America in March with the releases of Blind Woman's Curse, Day of Anger, and Mark of the Devil. April will see the releases of Massacre Gun, Blood and Black Lace, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne. May brings Island of Death, Brian Yuzna's often requested Society, and Retaliation. Thanks to an accidental leak, we now know that June will finally bring Miike Takashi's The Happiness of the Katakuris, along with Contamination, and the North American Blu-ray debut of Jack Hill's Spider Baby.
Stay tuned for more news from Arrow Video, and hopefully some opportunities to expand your own collection! All of the details, release dates, and specs are in the gallery below, enjoy!
Release Date: 24th March 2015 Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD Starring: Meiko Kaji, Hoki Tokuda, Makoto Satô Directed by: Teruo Ishii
From Teruo Ishii “The King of Cult”, Blind Woman’s Curse (also known as Black Cat’s Revenge) is a thrilling Yakuza film featuring eye-popping visuals, sensational fight sequences and the gorgeous Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood, Stray Cat Rock), in her first major role.
Akemi (Kaji) is a dragon tattooed leader of the Tachibana Yakuza clan. In a duel with a rival gang Akemi slashes the eyes of an opponent and a black cat appears, to lap the blood from the gushing wound. The cat along with the eye-victim go on to pursue Akemi’s gang in revenge, leaving a trail of dead Yakuza girls, their dragon tattoos skinned from their bodies.
A bizarre blend of the female Yakuza film and traditional Japanese ghost story, with a strong dash of grotesque-erotica (the same movement was a sensibility of Edogawa Rampo whose works were adapted by Ishii in Horrors of Malformed Men), Blind Woman’s Curse is a delirious mash-up of classic genre tropes, of which Ishii was no stranger, having directed everything from Super Giant films to Biker movies!
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- New high definition digital transfer of the film prepared by Nikkatsu Studios
- Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
- Uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Audio commentary by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp
- Original Trailer
- Trailers for four of the films in the Meiko Kaji-starring Stray Cat Rock series, made at the same studio as Blind Woman’s Curse
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes, illustrated with original archive stills.
Region: ABC/0 Duration: 85 mins Language: Japanese Subtitles: English Aspect Ratio: 2.44:1 Audio: Mono 2.0 PCM Colour MSRP $39.95