Have Your Say: Which Film Would You Want To Forget... So You Could See It Again For The First Time?

Associate Editor, Features; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
Two weeks ago I saw Jacques Tourneur's classic horror film Night of the Demon, a first viewing despite me being curious about the film for over thirty years already. Surprisingly, after all that anticipation it didn't disappoint me. I loved it, and in my opinion it had rightfully deserved its status as a classic.

On Facebook I told friends worldwide about me having finally seen it, and I got some interesting remarks. One friend told me he was jealous I had still been able to watch a classic like that with fresh eyes. A mutual friend agreed, and said he'd pay good money to be able to forget some films, just so he could watch those again as if he'd never seen them before.

That remark struck a chord in me, as if my brain went "Twang... ang... ng..!"

There are many, many films I have watched multiple times, and there are many, many films which reward repeat viewings with previously unnoticed details and deeper understanding. But some films, you watch again and again just to catch an itch of the feeling you got when you first saw them. That happy shock-and-surprise which only sometimes happens, and which is one of the biggest kicks cinema can deliver.

So imagine that, like Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (seen above), you could stick your head in a machine to erase memories. Which film would you want to forget... just so you could see it again as if it were your first time?
Chime in, in the comments below, and HAVE YOUR SAY!!

(And a big, BIG thanks to Bart Oosterhoorn and Bram Roza for giving me this idea.)

More about Have Your Say

My Damn CroissantsMarch 7, 2017 10:53 AM

David Lynch's Lost Highway. I came across the full movie on youtube as a teenager, gave it a whirl cause I knew some songs from the soundtrack. Having at the time no idea who or what a David Lynch was, my mind wasn't merely blow but obliterated.

ManateeAdvocateMarch 7, 2017 12:37 PM

Gods I'm a bore. I immediately think of my favorite film. I'll say The Thing (1982), but I'd love to see Psycho again for the first time. The film scared the shit out of me as a kid. I think both films that I've listed still hold up remarkably well. Ooo, Blade Runner too. Okay, okay, I can only pick one. The Thing it is then.

Ard, you didn't tell us yours. Do share please.

wabaliciousMarch 7, 2017 5:03 PM

I actually saw Lost Highway in the cinema mainly because of Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson's involvement. Great film, absolutely bizarre and i wouldn't say i understand it but i really liked it. Reznor's Driver Down was an amazing track on the album too.

wabaliciousMarch 7, 2017 5:07 PM

It's a question that probably deserves to have a movie with a big twist as the answer, but i'd probably just go with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Aliens or The Terminator. I'd love to see those for the first time, not having any idea what would happen next.

Ard VijnMarch 7, 2017 5:15 PM

James Cameron's ALIENS. I totally thought the movie had basically ended when Ripley found Newt and ran back to the shuttle. I did not expect the queen.

ManateeAdvocateMarch 7, 2017 5:19 PM

My thoughts exactly, however you go with the powerful ones. Great choices.

ManateeAdvocateMarch 7, 2017 5:20 PM

Nor did I. Perfect choice.

wabaliciousMarch 7, 2017 6:28 PM

Again, perfect choices, two of my absolute favourites.

Sofia WashingtonMarch 8, 2017 1:11 AM

I have profited 104000 bucks in last 12 months by freelancing online and I manage to accomplish that by wo­rking part-time f­o­r several h on daily basis. I’m using an earning opportunity I found on-line and I am so happy that I was able to earn such great money. It's so user-friendly a­n­d I'm just so happy that i learned about it. Here is what i do... http://libr.ae/Oa3k

David SmithMarch 8, 2017 8:36 AM

Any Sergio Leone

David SmithMarch 8, 2017 8:37 AM

Duck Soup, blimey, too many to think of. What about Spirited Away?

Matt BrownMarch 8, 2017 9:53 AM

I was born in 1976, and both senility and longevity run in my family, so my honest ambition is to make it to 101 years of age, and celebrate the 100th anniversary of STAR WARS by seeing it with no memory of ever having seen it before - and, hopefully, loathing it.

jcoa2March 8, 2017 10:09 AM

When I was 12, I walked into a Saturday matinee at the mall theater to see a new sf movie that was out called Star Wars, with no idea of what was about to hit me. Yeah, I wouldn't mind reliving that.

YojimboMarch 8, 2017 11:59 AM

I to wait for senility to render ALL movies new and unseen.
Not long now.

dustin changMarch 8, 2017 12:41 PM

Blade Runner. I'd like to lament for the first time why our world still doesn't resemble that movie which is set in 2019.

Paul MMarch 8, 2017 3:59 PM

AVATAR, if I could see it in 3D at a good theatre again.

Ard VijnMarch 8, 2017 9:11 PM

Definitely. Call it the Cameron effect, but I'd like to see THE ABYSS and the first half hour of TERMINATOR 2 for the first time again as well.

God of JoyMarch 8, 2017 10:26 PM

Fellini's 8 1/2

B.March 9, 2017 2:53 AM

Tarkovsky's Stalker springs to mind. Then Beasts of the Southern Wild. Eraserhead. Cinema, for me at least, is best when it's not just a story being told, but an experience.

B.March 9, 2017 2:56 AM

I first saw Eraserhead on a shitty VHS tape on a broken TV that buzzed. Perfect in a way.

Ard VijnMarch 9, 2017 9:41 AM

"Cinema, for me at least, is best when it's not just a story being told, but an experience."

Oooh, nice!
Mind if I borrow that sentence a few times in the future?

B.March 9, 2017 11:38 PM

Be my guest. I'm finally quotable ;)