Upcoming APPLESEED ALPHA Film Will Be A Reboot-Slash-Prequel

Associate Editor, Features; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
Upcoming APPLESEED ALPHA Film Will Be A Reboot-Slash-Prequel
Masamune Shirow's manga "Appleseed" has been adapted for the cinema several times already, and according to IGN.com, this summer we can add a new one: Appleseed Alpha.

Details are sketchy, but apparently this is a "reboot" taking place before the previous films, with female supersoldier Deunan and her cyborg friend Briareos still traveling through a post-war wasteland, looking for the city Olympia. Sounds like a prequel to the previous two films, rather than a reboot, but it can (of course) be both.

As evidenced by the first screenshot seen above, this will once again be a cg-animated film. Aramaki Shinji, who also directed Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina, will take the helm. The production is in the hands of Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions and Lucent Pictures Entertainment, and its release is planned for "this summer".
animeAppleseedMasamune ShirowShinji AramakiMarianne KrawczykYuka KomatsuJun'ichi SuwabeAoi YukiHiroki TakahashiAnimationActionSci-FiKiyoto TakeuchiTodd WeingerAi KobayashiKôichi YamaderaYûji KishiKong Kuwata

More from Around the Web

More about Appleseed Alpha

More about Appleseed: Ex Machina

Research MonkeyFebruary 13, 2014 10:32 AM

Lets just hope they stick closer to the manga this time round. If it is
indeed a reboot then this will be the fourth attempt at an adaption and
hopefully they'll get it right at last. The other attempts are simply
awful, especially Aramaki's first Appleseed. Not quite sure how they
keep managing to screw it up.

BosFebruary 13, 2014 11:39 AM

I enjoyed a lot both Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina. I will gladly watch a movie about the great war we saw at the beginning of the first movie.
Quite hyped right now, thanks for the news

Marcel SamsonFebruary 14, 2014 8:24 AM

Sounds like a reboot to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she only meet the new and improved Briaireos in the first movie? So in a straight up prequel, she couldn't have met him yet, right?

I enjoyed the previous films for it's sometimes great visuals, but the rest was kind of your typical pretentious anime stuff...

Ard VijnFebruary 14, 2014 10:34 AM

Ships, you're correct! After having seen the films, I read the manga, so I must have melded that all together in my mind.

GarladorMarch 26, 2014 10:51 AM

I VERY much enjoyed the first two Appleseed movies. Though I'm wary of yet ANOTHER "reboot" (Appleseed XIII wasn't that long ago), the return of Shinji Aramaki is greatly appreciated.

Concerning being "faithful" to the manga... I've read the manga. Like Ghost in the Shell, the manga isn't bad, but I find the more recent adaptations to be significantly better handled.

Anonymous GXMay 12, 2014 1:58 PM

I think you just don't understand Masamune's writing style. If you liked the GitS and Appleseed adaptions, but not the manga, you probably read the manga after the adaptions. Masamune's work holds on its own for the sake of itself.

Todd BrownMay 12, 2014 2:10 PM

It's every bit AS likely - if not moreso - that he UNDERSTANDS Masamune's writing just fine and simply doesn't LIKE it. There's no need to insult other people's intelligence to justify your own tastes. Nothing wrong with different people liking different things.

Anonymous GXMay 12, 2014 2:31 PM

I wasn't insulting anyone. I genuinely think he just doesn't understand Masamune's style of writing, which is actually very common among viewers. He has a complicated way of telling a story and conveying his philosophy.

People who understand Shirow's work are an exception, not a majority.

Todd BrownMay 12, 2014 2:37 PM

This entire position is inherently insulting and condescending. It's is based 100% on the assumption that people don't like the same things that you do because they 'don't understand' them. But you do, of course, because you're smarter than they are. And, clearly, anybody that 'understood' them would like them just as much as you do. Because nobody could possibly understand them and not like them, right?

This is basic Indier Than Thou posturing and it's bullshit. One hundred percent bullshit. It's bullshit when indie rock hipsters do it, it's bullshit when indie film hipsters do it, and it's bullshit when anime / manga otaku do it. It's just plain bullshit. Different people have different tastes and there's nothing wrong with that.

Anonymous GXMay 12, 2014 5:29 PM

Okay, now you're just being pretentious and overly dramatic. I made a simple (true) statement, Masamune makes complicated and well structured work. Your regular joe will not understand it, and cannot enjoy it. If your pussy bleeds because of my comment, I have no Maxipad for you. All this does is cement your sensationalist position. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Real intelligent on your end.

And please stop with the paragraphed essays on trivial comments. If anything, you're the pretentious hipster here.

Todd BrownMay 12, 2014 6:27 PM

Says the man who is - again - positioning himself as superior to the regular joe. There's a compelling counter. Yup. By being even more explicitly what I said you were.

Anonymous GXMay 13, 2014 3:00 AM

"positioning himself as superior to the regular joe" When have I ever said that? You are putting words in my mouth and you continue to be dramatized. Why don't you go live in a movie and take your liberal tears with you?

marshy00May 13, 2014 8:48 AM

You're delightful.

Anonymous GXMay 13, 2014 10:21 AM

Okay.

E.a. SolinasMay 19, 2014 4:03 AM

So if they don't like it, they don't "get it." And if they do "get it," they're somehow smarter than people who don't like it. Pretentious.

Anonymous GXMay 19, 2014 11:57 AM

I've never read a more two-dimensional comment directed towards me. You just put words in my mouth as if you know who I am. You're useless.

Isaac RoyalJuly 14, 2014 2:22 AM

It's a reboot in the sense that at the beginning of the first movie she doesn't know that Briareous is a cyborg or that the war has ended, or even of the existence of Olympus. In this one they are living in a destroyed nyc working as hired guns for a gang lord called two horns, and they do know of Olympus, but they dont know if it exists or not. The CGI is insane by the way! The movie is already available online for those who care to look for it. It's a great watch