Limited Edition, Six Disc, Complete GRINDHOUSE DVD Release Coming To Japan!

Limited Edition, Six Disc, Complete GRINDHOUSE DVD Release Coming To Japan!

Been wondering when you'll be able to see the Tarantino / Rodriguez Grindhouse double bill on DVD the same way you saw it on the big screen? Irritated that the films are currently only available in stand-alone formats without the faux-trailers? Well, don't hold your breath for a domestic release, because if there's one on the horizon nobody's said a word about it yet, but relief is coming your way via Japan where the Grindhouse experience is slated to receive a deluxe, six disc DVD release in March. You get the theatrical release, both extended stand-alone versions, bonus discs dedicated to both individual features and an extra disc loaded with 106 minutes of features exclusive to this Japanese release. And while nobody's released the packaging or artwork yet you can expect a little something special, what with this coming from Japan, and you can be certain that the technical end will be absolutely top of the line because Japanese releases always are. Priced under a hundred bucks with shipping included it's also surprisingly inexpensive for a Japanese import. You'll find all the specs below the break.

Disc 1: Death Proof (Extended Film)
-English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles

-Japanese Theatrical/TV trailers
-Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
-What is Grindhouse? (Text)

Disc 2: Planet Terror (Extended Film)
-English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese Subtitles

-Rodriguez commentary
-International/Japanese trailers
-Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
-What is Grindhouse? (Text)

Disc 3: Death Proof bonus materials
-Special Message to Japan from Tarantino
-Staff and Cast interviews on Death Proof
-Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof (20:39)
-Introducing Zoë Bell (8:59)
-Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike (9:34)
-Finding Quentin's Gals (21:14)
-The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You" Performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead (1:48)
-The Guys of Death Proof (8:16)
-Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke (4:38)
-Double Dare Trailer (2:36)

Disc 4: Planet Terror bonus materials
-10-Minute Film School (11:52)
-The Badass Babes of Planet Terror (11:50)
-The Guys of Planet Terror (16:32)
-Casting Rebel (05:34)
-Sickos, Bullets and Explosions: The Stuns of Planet Terror (13:18)
-The Friend, The Doctor and The Real Estate Agent (6:42)

Disc 5: Grindhouse (191 minute theatrical cut)
-English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles

Disc 6: Japanese only Grindhouse bonus disc (106 minutes)
-Grindhouse - US Trailer
-2006 San Diego Comicon
-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)
-Staff/Cast comments
-The Directors of the Fake Trailers
-Coments on past Grindhouse Films
-Making Of Planet Terror

More from Around the Web

Order the DVD

kungfueurotrashJanuary 2, 2008 10:14 PM

I'm definitely buying this Japanese edition.... I'm glad i waited for something like this to come out...

flyboyJanuary 3, 2008 1:31 AM

I think all filmmakers wish they could make more movies than they actually make. He's just so open about what he wants to do and your always going to hear about ideas he has and think of them as films that are in the works.... he prob just gets a little over excited. I personally wouldn't want to see a second Death Proof.

I read something the other day where this guy suggests that the Grindhouse 'thing' becomes a franchise.... allowing other filmmakers to add their own installments... so it becomes this massive movement... like Dogme 95... (Although I'm not comparing this to Dogme)... Just thought it was a good idea.

KIRAJanuary 3, 2008 6:11 AM

Already Pre-Ordered this on CDjapan.

Damn, I need to see the artwork for this set immediately!

Todd BrownJanuary 3, 2008 9:42 AM

Key phrase in the cost comment: "for a Japanese import". Japanese discs don't come cheap, particularly not a release that combines three separate releases into one package. I was expecting this to run in the $150 range when I heard it was coming.

And, honestly, I think the chances of a US release of the theatrical cut coming are about as likely as the loooooooooong promised complete edition of Kill Bill. As in it aint ever gonna happen.

Tuan JimJanuary 3, 2008 11:29 AM

Plus for a Japanese 6 disc box, I expect it to be mighty pretty to boot. Can't say I've been too disappointed with Japanese SE packaging in the past. No word if there'll be anything fancy though unfortunately.

Collin ArmstrongJanuary 4, 2008 12:32 AM

I'll look into the slasher angle - I always heard referencing the film with regard to its stunts, etc. and talking up the VANISHING POINT / TWO LANE BLACKTOP / etc. homages - I will definitely check it out.

And I hear what you're saying about filmmakers always having a lot on their plates which remains unrealized - like I said, I think my issue with Tarantino isn't so much a problem as it is the desire to see him be able to put together some of the things he talks about (of course it isn't all on him). Is it fair to single him out? No, but I'll probably always be more jazzed for QT's next project than, say, Fincher's. Just wishing there were more is all...

Del Toro is another filmmaker who frustrates me in this way - I'd much rather see MEPHISTO'S BRIDGE or AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS instead of HELLBOY 2, but the game is what it is, and I'll take what I can get when I can get it!

SwarezJanuary 4, 2008 5:57 AM

The point is that Burton and the studio didn't marked the film as a Hammer homage. QT and RR pimped the concept like crazy like it's the best thing in the world. It isn't and the wast majority let it be known.

Making a film look and feel like a low budget movie for 50 million dollars is moronic and they could have made the same films for less, they'd just had to try. Their heroes did it, why can't they?
True the films would have been slightly different but they'd would have been more honest and last but not least...not the huge financial failure that they were.

justinslotJanuary 4, 2008 9:05 AM

"By the way, the Japanese dub listed here would definitely add to “The Grindhouse Experience”!"

Hee hee. That makes me wish he'd shot Death Proof with an entirely foreign cast with the intention of dubbing it into English--that really would have been authentic.

Ard VijnJanuary 4, 2008 6:33 PM

"That makes me wish he’d shot Death Proof with an entirely foreign cast with the intention of dubbing it into English--that really would have been authentic."

Or an extra mono English soundtrack, one third of a second out-of-sync! Almost the same effect.

CanfieldJanuary 5, 2008 12:43 AM

What I want to know about is the packaging. I better get something awfully nifty for $100 bucks.

And why don't they do these super limited editions in the states anyway?

SwarezJanuary 5, 2008 2:26 AM

Then what's the idea behind the missing reels and film damages? They were trying to emulate the Grindhouse feel. The Grindhouse feel is two or more LOW BUDGET movies shown in a row in a run down theater. So if they truly wanted to make true "Grindhouse" films (none of the original ones were trying to do that) they should have made them low budget and used the technology that was available in 70's to get the true look and feel, instead of spending millions of dollars in post production trying to emulate that. Tarantino didn't even let that gimmick last through the whole movie as it became pristine half way through.

But anyway. Let's agree to disagree.

GarthJanuary 5, 2008 11:58 AM

Yes, emulate. They were trying to emulate.

All they were trying to do was recreate the type of experience they had in grindhouse theatres or drive-ins. Except that they have the resources that the filmmakers in the 70s didn't have.

I've got my own theory about the movie becoming pristine halfway through, but I'm not going to get into it.

But anyway, I agree to disagree. Agreed? Cool.