Impressive SciFi Action In Macgregor's KOR3 *UPDATE*

Impressive SciFi Action In Macgregor's KOR3 *UPDATE*
Before I begin let me say that I am fully aware of just how ludicrous and unfair the comparison I'm about to make is but, dammit, it's true so I'm going to do it anyway.  The cityscape featured in the teaser for upcoming scifi-action picture KOR3 strikes me very much as being the world of Ridley Scott's Bladerunner as filtered through the grime of Neill Blomkamp's District 9. Ridiculously big names, I know, and well nigh impossible to live up to but it's what ran immediately through my mind when I first got a gander.

The product of a commercials director and cinematographer who calls himself simply Macgregor - real name, Miguel de Olaso - there is very little information publicly available on this one other than a note on the Vimeo site that it's 'coming some day'. Make it soon, Macgregor.  Make it soon.

Fresh details on this, straight from the source.  This teaser was shot in and around Shanghai in 2008 for an in-development feature film described by Macgregor as an 'ultra-realistic' spin on the themes of Bladerunner and Ghost In The Shell set in the world as it may be fifty or sixty years in future.  Viewed as part of a trilogy, it is set in the same world - though a very different part of it - as his nearly-complete short film Similo.   And, yes, they used the music from Prototype as a temporary score.
Eric DinkianKarin ShibataShortMusic

More from Around the Web

You can find more fantastic work by Macgregor here
LR1000February 6, 2010 3:11 AM

I am fairly certain, the audio before he starts shooting is taken straight from the game 'Prototype'. Actually, it's a complete rip off! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Oy1LEdGW4

DickFebruary 6, 2010 3:24 AM

The thought is that this is such a super earlier teaser that they just threw the Prototype audio over it just to give it a little more flavor. Maybe it's, what's his name, Macgruber's(?) favorite game or something.

Bolt_ThrowerFebruary 6, 2010 10:26 AM

Yeah, the audio is definitely from Prototype. I'm playing this game lately. Kore will be an adaptation of the game? Alex Mercer consumed a Blackwatch guard.

agent666February 6, 2010 5:46 PM

new money for old rope - any twat willing to put in a few hours of effort could have made that - how can you compare it to anything???? there is MUCH better stuff on youtube right now that were made by kids on ZERO budget and i'm meant to be enthralled by this? like the other guys said, the lazy bastards couldn't even record a proper VO for it and instead pulled it from Prototype, i kinda doubt Barry Pepper knows his voice is being used...

bullshit!

MiguelFebruary 6, 2010 9:00 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.
Budget for this was ZERO. As you correctly noticed, the audio was temp. This was just a concept teaser to set the tone. The project is in the early stages of development - this was a just to help me get some visual ideas down.
Best,
Mac

cinefugueFebruary 7, 2010 1:54 AM

Miguel, I'm heading to Shanghai in May. Let's finish this!

Dan SacharFebruary 7, 2010 5:28 AM

Miguel, as a big fan of the original Similo, I'm sure you'll be able to deliver us something great with Kore.

Good Luck!

toro_roFebruary 7, 2010 10:27 AM

It's the first time I hear about this movie and the teaser impact was frontal: I loved it. The pre-cyberpunk visuals are perfect.

agent666: Your comment is really not necessary.

jmalmstenFebruary 8, 2010 9:22 AM

hehehe... a teaser that starts off with a Blade Runneresque shot and stars a main guy called Mercer? I just found it a bit funny like some kind of an obscure in-joke.

(Mercer and Mercerism being one of the largest elements of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep that wasn't adapted into the Ridley Scott movie)

But yeah. Having not played Prototype this teaser really made me interested. I'll keep a lookout for more development of this...