Jackie Chan's THE FOREIGNER Gets Brooding U.S. Trailer to Go With Poster

Managing Editor; Dallas, Texas, USA (@peteramartin)
Jackie Chan's THE FOREIGNER Gets Brooding U.S. Trailer to Go With Poster

UPDATED: The first trailer has now dropped, and, frankly, it looks terrific, with a brooding and very somber Jackie Chan integrated well into the drama and, of course, the action. Watch the trailer below. We've also added three new stills. Here's the official synopsis, as well, which puts everything into context:

The Foreigner, starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan, is a timely action thriller from the director of Casino Royale. The film tells the story of humble London businessman Quan (Chan), whose long-buried past erupts in a revenge-fueled vendetta when the only person left for him to love -- his teenage daughter -- is taken from him in a senseless act of politically-motivated terrorism. In his relentless search for the identity of the terrorists, Quan is forced into a cat-and-mouse conflict with a British government official (Brosnan), whose own past may hold clues to the identities of the elusive killers.

Original post follows:

Jackie Chan remains as busy as ever. Within the past year, we've seen the Chinese period piece Railroad Tigers and the modern Chinese/Indian fusion Kung Fu Yoga, which both showed him in his familiar guise as a heroic action figure.

The Foreigner promises to show him in a different light, as a man seeking vengeance for his family. Reportedly, it will emphasize the action in the premise; Chan plays a restaurant owner in London whose family is victimized by Irish terrorists. It's based on Stephen Leather's novel The Chinaman (?!), first published in 1992.

Pierce Brosnan, who's done quite a variety of colorful roles since his days as James Bond, is Chan's costar, along with Katie Leung and Tao Liu. Speaking of Bond, Martin Campbell, perhaps best known for Bond installments GoldenEye and Casino Royale, is directing.

The film is scheduled for release this fall -- October 13 in the U.S. The first U.S. poster has now been released, which you can see in full below, I'm quite intrigued, but I'm an unbridled optimist. What say you?

TheForeigner_1Sheet-860.jpg

Jackie ChanMartin CampbellPierce Brosnan

More from Around the Web

More about The Foreigner

William JohnsonJune 22, 2017 10:40 AM

Irish terrorists, sometimes you miss the classics. That being said, I think Chan can handle serious and I would also suspect that Brosnan is the heavy and I know he can handle serious.

MangkoneJune 22, 2017 10:52 AM

About time, if they do it the "Taken" way it can be soooo goood. Like you I choose to be optimistic about this one.

Peter MartinJune 22, 2017 10:57 AM

Thanks for your comment, I haven't read the novel but I'm curious how the terrorist angle is handled. Campbell also directed EDGE OF DARKNESS, which I thought was quite good, and this has echoes of that, too. Also agree that both Chan and Brosnan can handle serious!

Peter MartinJune 22, 2017 10:59 AM

Thanks for your comment. I like to be realistic about my optimism, but, yes, I'll vote with my dollars for this one.

YojimboJune 22, 2017 11:20 AM

Sounds interesting, my peepers are peeled.
My paltry opinion on EDGE OF DARKNESS is that the movie was forgettable and that the TV series was haunting.
Which are you referring to sir as both were directed by Campbell?

Peter MartinJune 22, 2017 11:41 AM

Wow! I was referring to the movie; still haven't seen the TV series, but based on your recommendation, I'll have to check it out. Thank you, sir!

FredJune 22, 2017 4:11 PM

Would have liked to see him kicking some ISIS ass since they are the ones really attacking London among other places.

YojimboJune 22, 2017 5:20 PM

Now that's a recommendation from a teenage cub.
I'm not sure how it has aged, as I have not seen it since it aired.
Will have to check it out myself. : )

Peter MartinJune 22, 2017 5:21 PM

Yes, it makes me wonder how much was changed in the script, since the book was first published in 1992.

Felix NgJune 22, 2017 6:22 PM

Serious Jackie is not my favorite Jackie.

Ken SpazianiJune 22, 2017 10:19 PM

well he'll be kicking al qaeda / isis ass in his film with Stallone! Ex-Baghdad (2019)
Action, Adventure, Thriller
Two ex-special forces soldiers must escort a group of civilians along Baghdad's "Highway of Death" to the safety of the Green Zone.
Director: Scott Waugh
Writer: Arash Amel
Stars: Sylvester Stallone, Jackie Chan

Paul MarkJune 24, 2017 5:57 AM

i bet the tv show stands the test of time. the story was all about conspiracy which is still relevant today.

Paul MarkJune 24, 2017 6:00 AM

looking forward to this. been a long time coming for him have a film like this, jackie is a great actor about time the westerns see that.

YojimboJune 24, 2017 6:07 PM

Very true sir, the story of the State being in the thrall of Corporations, Big Business and private interests is unfortunately even more relevant now than it was then.
As that was when it first became publicly and globally accepted that mankind was having quite a dramatic effect on the environment.

Paul MarkJune 25, 2017 8:40 AM

I can only imagine how the show was received back then. The movie version hits right home with the theme, though not as good as the series. :)

FredJune 25, 2017 10:32 AM

Dude that is AWESOME! Thanks for the heads up!

Ken SpazianiJune 25, 2017 10:59 AM

np buddy Lifelong chan fan here spreading the news

Ken SpazianiJune 25, 2017 11:01 AM

The plot has to do with him and stallone (top ex-special forces as mercenaries for hire from the USA and China - the two very best) have to go in and retake an oil field that isis has under control with civilians then escort them from the compound thru the highway of death. Basically it will be brilliant.
Stallone left the expendables series for this.

wabaliciousJune 25, 2017 5:05 PM

It's aged ok, i got the dvd a few years ago when the film came out, some of my friends hadn't seen the series and were very impressed with it. Bob Peck is still as riveting and sad as ever and Joe Don Baker is still as amusing as i remembered. I liked the Mel Gibson version a lot but prefer the original.

wabaliciousJune 25, 2017 5:09 PM

Jackie is excellent in New Police Story, he's had a few great serious performances in the last decade or so. I bought the book this is based on, in the novel Jackie's character is a restaurateur whose daughter is killed in an IRA bombing in London. In his days before being a friendly restaurant owner he was an assassin for the Viet Cong and pits his skills against the IRA in Belfast (my home town!) in revenge. Sounds fantastic. Brosnan seems to be playing a Gerry Adams-style figure, looks exactly like him too.

wabaliciousJune 25, 2017 5:12 PM

The terrorism angle could be very sensitive at the moment. The bus explosion Jackie's daughter is killed in was filmed on a bridge in London that recently suffered a terrorist attack where people were killed. While filming was taking place there apparently wasn't much warning and some people thought it was a real terrorist attack. I'll be interested to see if they have to reshoot or push back the UK release.

D_userJune 26, 2017 8:12 AM

J Chan is a very good actor, not just the martial arts performer for action films. He hasnt been given that much of a chance in that this image of this Asian martial arts, kung fu performer brought in the moolah. He looks so tired in this poster , he really needs to stop performing those stunts , heavy duty action and OTT emotions that his films call for.
He seems so done in this image I really want him to retire to a cottage in some green village, forever, for his health.

PSYJune 26, 2017 10:55 AM

Just saw the trailer... looking good :)

the hong Kong cavaliersJune 26, 2017 2:01 PM

This looks great

Peter MartinJune 26, 2017 2:25 PM

I can understand why you feel that way. But I think the trailer reveals that he still has miles to go before he sleeps.

Andrew MackJune 26, 2017 9:23 PM

This whiffs of Patriot Games

Zero LastimosaJune 27, 2017 12:54 AM

Wow this looks good. Fingers crossed the trailer didn't show all the action scenes already...

Gopal NatarajanJune 27, 2017 2:14 AM

Arnold Schwarzenegger did this movie too, in 2002. It was called "Collateral Damage."

D_userJune 27, 2017 4:45 AM

:) . The trailer reveals that his time has come, to an end. Action again! kung fu variants - check. Coming off a rooftop - check. Guns and the shenanigans -check. His stunts' variants - check. The premise is Chan's age appropriate , but rather than him saving a politico's daughter as in Rush Hour (his first English H'wood hit), he is now old enough to have his own teen daughter killed that calls for action. Again. Its that last scene, his face, pulled down with wrinkles, exhausted, and bruised that says it all. Enough. J Chan really needs to stop doing action. For himself.

No offence please. Just my thoughts. Cheers.

wabaliciousJune 27, 2017 11:05 AM

Hmm, after seeing the trailer there's no bus explosion in it. One was filmed though, possibly they reshot it due to the real life terrorist attacks?

wabaliciousJune 27, 2017 11:07 AM

Why though? He's playing a grieving father, he's unlikely to be grinning the whole way through the film, it's just acting, he's not really worn out from killing all those IRA men.

D_userJune 28, 2017 12:28 AM

Its not about the comedy , its about the action that I'm talking about. JC's brand of action. It is acting, but with JC he takes it upon himself to film the physical sequences himself. Hence his physicality has worn and it shows.

tman418July 6, 2017 10:03 PM

I really have to disagree with you here. Sure, he's not as spry as he used to be, but he can do far more at his age than so many other younger actions stars today! In fact, I think his "worn" look/demeanor in this trailer (and posters) is deliberate, considering his character and the story.

Besides, I recommend we at least watch this movie first before we make any judgements about his ability to still be a good actions star! His stunts and action in "Chinese Zodiac" and "Dragon Blade" were very well done, even if he did require a wire every now and then. Just because he can't do the same twirly wirly moves of Drunken Master anymore doesn't mean he can't still be a badass action star.

And if he still wants to do this until the day he dies, I say he should go for it!

D_userJuly 7, 2017 2:48 AM

Hmm, its not about comparing him with what he could do when he was younger.
I have read very little about this, but I do remember him saying that the stunts took such a toll on him that he wanted to stop. Now that was a time, he moved into 'serious' cinematic territory in that he starred , produced less action films. I remember this..And then that phase did no go well with the audiences and he came back with the vengeance to action again, his style.

I do have reservations, but he has to survive, be there in onscreen, he feels, maybe, I do not know. Hence. He is a good actor and I wish he comes in a serious character driven role , in a drama. But audiences are less likely to accept him in that avataar and he isnt the first genre actor in the world to experience this push pull.