Fantasia 2016: Watch Guillermo del Toro's One-Hour Master Class on Creature Design

Contributing Writer; Toronto, Canada (@triflic)

During the 2016 edition of the Fantasia International Film Festival, director Guillermo del Toro was given the prestigious Cheval Noir award for his exceptional career in the cinema of the fantastic up to this point. This award was handed out after a screening of CREATURE DESIGNERS: THE FRANKENSTEIN COMPLEX. GdT then stuck around and gave one of his delightful and quite substantial lectures of the art, philosophy, and nuts and bolts of designing monsters for the big screen.

The entire lecture/discussion was moderated by former Fangoria Editor Tony Timpone, and it includes about 20 minutes of questions from the audience. The video, shot by a (relatively steady) iPhone with audio captured by Concordia's relatively good acoustics, is embedded below.

Fantasia 2016Guillermo del ToroMaster Class

More about Creature Designers: The Frankenstein Complex

Mark SavageAugust 5, 2016 12:28 PM

Great interview (what could be heard). Could have used a radio mic attached to Guillermo and a dedicated camera aimed at him. Always an amazing storyteller on screen or in person.

KurtAugust 5, 2016 2:20 PM

We work with what we've got! The sound is pretty clear if you watch with headphones.

Mark SavageAugust 5, 2016 3:06 PM

Not a dig at you, Kurt, or SA. Just expressing regret that the original recording wasn't better. Perhaps Fantasia didn't have funds for a dedicated professional to record this. Nothing is free.

KurtAugust 5, 2016 4:45 PM

No Prob, Mark! Thanks for the feedback!

Fantasia did indeed film it. I should ask for the audio track (I'm sure it is a very large file though), it would mesh seemlessly into my hand-held paul-greengrass-style bob-and-weave footage!
I am sure that at some point, the pro-footage will surface online, but since I had this on my phone, why not share it with the w

MehliensAugust 14, 2016 5:22 AM

I always thought Del Toro's designs were terribly hit and miss. He is also quite close to some of the things Burton did better and I'm not even a fan of Burton.

Alexandru ClimaOctober 19, 2016 7:30 AM

Hello Mark. I saw your list of Japanese movies posted at : http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2...
Talking about pink films. It is great . Some of them I can find but can you recommend me how I can get to the majority of them as it seems impossible

Mark SavageOctober 19, 2016 1:01 PM

Hi Alexandru,
Glad you enjoyed the list. Which films exactly are you finding it difficult to see?
Most titles posted have had some kind of video release: LD, VHS, DVD, or Blu.
Mark