Ard's Dozen Of Musings About 2015

Associate Editor, Features; Rotterdam, The Netherlands (@ardvark23)
While I saw more films in 2015 than I had in 2014, I can almost use the same text here that I wrote for my "dozen of musings" article of last year.

For again I have a big backlog of movies I've yet to watch, and while I'm not quite at the level of making a top-10 list while having seen only twelve films, neither do I feel completely comfortable with writing such a list.

So, like last year, I'll refrain from just posting my favorites from the small sample I was able to gather, and instead post some of my general thoughts. Yes, favorite movies will be in there, but also moments, events, news items, and stuff I bought. Personal highlights or otherwise memorable things which define the year of 2015 for me, film-wise.

Browse through them (they're in no particular order...), and feel free to discuss!

Souls in the Shell

One of the great highlights of 2015 was Alex Garland's Ex Machina. His debut as a director had none of the regular starting jitters and went straight for the jugular. Posing as an erotic treatise on artificial intelligence, it is actually a stinging indictment on human, and particularly masculine, stupidity.

When it played at the start of the Imagine film festival in Amsterdam (which had "We Love Robots" as this year's theme, as luck would have it), it not so much opened that festival as conquered it, immediately giving the fest its audience winner.

It ended up here at ScreenAnarchy as one of 2015's faves as well, even though not everyone was enamoured (see our team round-up of opinions on it).

2015

More about Ex Machina

More about Battles Without Honour and Humanity

More about Spectre

More about Kill La Kill

More about Liza The Fox Fairy

More about Turbo Kid

More about When Marnie Was There

More about Our Little Sister

Chase WhaleJanuary 4, 2016 9:20 AM

Love the Talking Heads nod. Now that's perfection.

KurtJanuary 4, 2016 11:40 AM

Both Kore-Eda's OUR LITTLE SISTER and Naomi Kawase's AN were the best two Japanese films I saw this year; both were also a great showcase of venerable actress, Kirin Kiki!

cjohnstonJanuary 4, 2016 6:00 PM

Two 'ditties' in particular i'd like to contribute ..upon. (?) *IF that made sense.
~

....Ex Machina (along with Automata.) are probably the Two BEST "robot" themed and inspired films i have EVER seen.
*Westworld, for me, would get honorable mention in my book..
~

....and then. Liza - The Fox Fairy............................... .....ANY idea (!) WHERE - or When - i could (Legally) see this .???? .! Lol.
.....and (sadly) airplane travel is OUT of the question for this one..

This one DOES Look G.REAT, and it's one of 'em that i'm proverbially "DYING" to see.

Ard VijnJanuary 5, 2016 5:31 AM

I discussed this with people, and the general consensus is that if it were in Spanish, Italian or French instead of Hungarian, it would have been the kind of worldwide hit AMELIE was.

cjohnstonJanuary 5, 2016 3:17 PM

......hmm..... *this is a GOOD reminiscence-esque kind of "hm".

...Funny thing you should mention Amelie .......A-NOTHER one of my perennial foreign language favs; along with the likes of Micmacs and A Very Long Engagement.
..recently checked it out from the library.
*again.

.U.S. cinema by and large (VERY subjective statement following...) just can NOT seem to match set point(s), step, or pace with foreign cinema over the past several years as far as intellect and maturity are concerned...............................

of course *!* there are watershed exceptions though to this..

A man with a knifeJanuary 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Ex Machina was terrible. I remember Upstream Color as probably worst sf-film I have ever seen, but this is even worse. Hipster-Poser nonsense.

cjohnstonJanuary 5, 2016 6:08 PM

...what were your thoughts on Automata ??

*for me, the script and storyline of this one is rather the inverse of Ex Machina..