Full Disclosure: ScreenAnarchy Tackles Its Lists Of Shame (A New Year's Resolution)

Asian Editor; Hong Kong, China (@Marshy00)
Just like opinions and arseholes, everyone's got their List of Shame. Their dirty little secret that they've been hiding from the world, that they fear will ruin their credibility if anyone ever found out, that has haunted them so long they can't even bear to utter its name...

For anyone who considers themselves a cinephile or critic of note, their occupation can all too often become a labour of Sisyphean proportions, and inevitably some bona fide classics get left behind in the rabid desire to stay on top. Be it Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia or Seven Samurai, everyone has their albatross to carry, everyone has that string of titles that makes them fall uncharacteristically silent when the pub conversation turns to their merits and faults. Everybody has their List of Shame.

As 2013 dawns, we at ScreenAnarchy have decided to make our New Year's Resolution a collective one - we will confront these lists once and for all! Together, as a team - for the greater good! Each of our contributors, from Todd Brown on down, has submitted the 12 biggest titles they know they really should have seen, but until now life has insisted on getting in the way. Every month, each of us will seek out a film from our list and watch it for the first time. We will then report back with our honest impressions on these so-called classics for your reading pleasure. How good a film is The Seventh Seal really? Does 8 1/2 actually make a lick of sense in the 21st Century? Has Gone With The Wind lived up to its title, or does it remain a romantic epic 70 years on?

Our aim here is not to challenge the classics of the artform we claim to love, but to challenge ourselves and open our deepest darkest recesses in the hope of finding some release, some closure, and most importantly...some more awesome movies with which to fall in love. Full Disclosure: ScreenAnarchy Tackles Its Lists of Shame will appear right here, on the last Sunday of every month, and promises to be an adventure of epic proportions. You will be shocked, surprised and somewhat flabbergasted by some of the films we have managed to avoid over the years, but we ask not for your pity, nor your ridicule, but simply for your support, and perhaps even a dash of envy as we experience these films for the very first time.

More about Lists of Shame 2013

Jaws
M
The Wild Bunch
The Shining
Yojimbo
Citizen Kane

You may mock accordingly.

Johnny LarocqueJanuary 6, 2013 12:34 PM

The Shining?!? Seriously Todd? This was the only movie that scared me as an adult (before I saw Audition) because I never got a chance to see it as a kid.

[A]January 6, 2013 12:39 PM

JAWS? Come onnnn

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 12:40 PM

It is Todd's example of bravery which made me participate in this endeavor. Here is my list, to be totally eradicated in 2013:

Harakiri
Gone With the Wind
Solaris
The Seventh Seal
Persepolis
The Double Life of Veronique
The Long Good Friday
M
The Searchers
Ugetsu
The Sound of Music
The Passion of Joan of Arc

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 12:41 PM

I've seen all the lists. You win.

Kurt HalfyardJanuary 6, 2013 12:45 PM

I know. I know. Todd's list is the craziest of the bunch. Madness on over half those titles.

My List for the series:

Dog Day Afternoon
Meet Me In St. Louis
Some Like It Hot
Come And See

Pa Kent Says MaybeJanuary 6, 2013 12:47 PM

Wow!
I'm willing to bet, when you finally see even a quarter of this list, you will realize just how much of your eyeball-life has been wasted on crappy genre blockbusters.
This is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to reading it

Tom StoneJanuary 6, 2013 1:03 PM

I'm not going to post my full list but do feel the collective pressure to have watched Stand By Me before now...

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:11 PM

I'm willing to bet that you have no idea what I grew up watching, actually. My youthful viewing was a mix of pulpy direct to video action and scifi stuff blended with a lot of British stuff (the Pythons were my entry point there) and forays into stuff like The Mosquito Coast, The Mission, etc. I've watched my share of blockbusters, too, but that's not what kept me away from these titles. Once I hit college It was pretty much all new international stuff all the time.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen it all in chunks, just never in one sitting from start to finish.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:12 PM

Yup. I've just never been much of a Kubrick fan.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:13 PM

This list would get even crazier if it ran to fifteen selections ... my next three would have been Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion and The Exorcist. Grew up in a very conservative religious home ... nothing with any sort of demonic angle would have flown in those days ...

Shelagh M. Rowan-LeggJanuary 6, 2013 1:20 PM

Okay, I will admit my list:

Mean Streets
Harold & Maude
Seven Samurai
Stagecoach
Raging Bull
Andre Rubliev
A Fistful of Dollars
The Godfather
The Wild Bunch
The Birth of a Nation
The Godfather Part II
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:24 PM

Harold & Maude is one of the greatest things ever. You're going to love it.

Tom StoneJanuary 6, 2013 1:33 PM

Mosquito Coast was on my original list, as I'm always going on about Peter Weir being Australia's greatest director - and really our Danny Boyle - without having seen much of his earlier work.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:40 PM

I'm a fan of it. Really solid all around. Watched it at least a handful of times in my teens.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:42 PM

Also, yes, you can take from my statement above that while I have not yet seen Citizen Kane I absolutely HAVE seen every movie that Brian Bosworth ever starred in. And most of Howie Long's. I think I got over the former athlete kick before he stopped 'acting'.

Tom StoneJanuary 6, 2013 1:45 PM

So I assume from the 'movies starring musicians' you've seen The Blues Brothers? Otherwise we'll have to make your list 13.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:48 PM

Oh, hell yeah.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 1:51 PM

Heh ... though there is, of course, the three picture run of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Blade Runner to contend with just prior. I think his performances are better in the smaller pictures, though.

Tom StoneJanuary 6, 2013 1:52 PM

I watched The Godfather Part II only a couple of years ago for the first time and remember it dawning on me at the time that I now knew why it was considered a masterpiece. I hope you have the same experience.

Tom StoneJanuary 6, 2013 1:55 PM

I love him in The Fugitive (now that was a family favourite!) and, thanks to my sister, Sabrina.

Darren BakerJanuary 6, 2013 2:01 PM

The problem with letting it go with some of these flicks (ie Citizen Kane) is that when you do finally get around to watching it, there's a huge buildup of expectation, good and bad, and it tends to affect the experience. Lawrence is something you should drop everything and watch immediately, if for no other reason than to get it out of the way, in the unlikely event you don't care for it. It is, in my dubious opinion, as close to a perfect movie as we are likely to ever see. No pressure.

Darren BakerJanuary 6, 2013 2:07 PM

The best thing you could ever do as a film fanatic child was to make friends with a video rental store dude/dudette, and just learn, learn, learn. In my town, we had a great rental place, and the owner used to put on the local film festival as well. Gotta love people who just live it.

Darren BakerJanuary 6, 2013 2:12 PM

Stone Cold is amazing. They should play that on TCM.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 2:18 PM

Stone Cold is my Citizen Kane.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 2:20 PM

Lawrence will be first out of the gate for me. James Marsh laid out everyone's schedule so where there are titles that appear on multiple lists we'll all be watching them at the same time.

kevo42January 6, 2013 2:26 PM

That's a really brave thing you're doing here ! You should tell when you're doing your collective visions of movies, so the reader who have also not seen the movies in question could see it in the same time and discuss about it later.

It would be a kind of Twitch viewing sessions for people who don't have the courage to see the movie classics.

Darren BakerJanuary 6, 2013 2:59 PM

Fantastic! I bought the uber-bells-und-whistles Lawrence set over the holidays. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

sezzzzJanuary 6, 2013 3:29 PM

I've not seen as many classics as I should have but that's mainly because I've wasted hours upon hours of my life watching vast quantities of utter shite, much of which I've viewed following recommendations on this site.
The only sensible response to this would, of course, be to cancel my daily newsletter and shun Twitch for evermore.
But I won't, of course, be doing that.

Douglas RoyJanuary 6, 2013 3:29 PM

All I can say Todd is that the Wall of Shame is a great idea, and that upon seeing your initial list I was dumbfounded by the range of so called, 'classics' that you have yet to see in their entirety. Right now, all I can think of putting on my list would be CHILDREN OF PARADISE and maybe BIRTH OF A NATION.

Mark FultonJanuary 6, 2013 3:38 PM

Todd, I would highly recommend not watching Lawrence UNLESS you can see on a big screen. That searing sun is not the same on a small screen. I deliberately waited until I could see it on a big screen and glad I did. It's one of those movies that demands the biggest screen possible. I have the good fortune of living in L.A. where it screens once or twice a year. I don't know where you live. Even if you have to travel, it's worth the time and effort. Trust me.

Douglas RoyJanuary 6, 2013 3:41 PM

Wow Ard, you never know what titles one might have overlooked in one's lifetime. It is an eye-opener for sure! Being a big Kieslowski fan I highly reccomend "Double Life of Veronique" along with the Three Colors trilogy (Blue, White, Red). It took me years to actually sit down and watch GONE WITH THE WIND and admittedly I'm still not a fan of the film although I like it more for the visual than the story aesthetic. I too need to see THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC along with UGETSU. Can't wait to get your feedback as you whittle down your viewing list during the coming months. Good luck!

Kurt HalfyardJanuary 6, 2013 3:44 PM

Actingwise. Yes. ICONIC Character-wise. No.

[A]January 6, 2013 4:34 PM

Funny you say that, because JAWS features chunks of people.

hutchJanuary 6, 2013 4:51 PM

Todd Brown! You and I are not on speaking terms until you've seen 'The Wild Bunch'...actually most of this list-except 'Jaws'-which I think mostly (but not completely) sucks. Actually, I'm kind of impressed with this list...you fake the funk well. I would've never known.

hutchJanuary 6, 2013 4:52 PM

OOOh. There's (at least) two versions of BoaN. Check 'em out! Good watch.

hutchJanuary 6, 2013 4:54 PM

This is true. but most of the films on Todd's list will have him wondering why he waited so long. The truly exceptional films live up the hype. Like Ghostbusters! Ha.

Niels MatthijsJanuary 6, 2013 4:55 PM

I know very little shame when it comes to lists like these. I've come clean before on Twitch, stating my overall dislike for the classics. I've been looking at them as a kind of side project from the time I got serious about my film hobby, sadly it hasn't led to many great discoveries so far.

Still, this is a great opportunity to fill in some essential gaps. Here's my list of ultimate classics I've never seen before:

01/ The Red Shoes
10/ Annie Hall
11/ Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
12/ The Bridge on the River Kwai

Best hopes: Annie Hall.
Worst fears: The Searchers

hutchJanuary 6, 2013 4:56 PM

Some Like it Hot is movie gold!!!!! and the first half of Gone With the Wind is amazing! I can live without the second half, though.

hutchJanuary 6, 2013 5:00 PM

I think your list is a little less of a shock than Todd's, you'll have a good time with most of these. I loathe the Sound of Music though, but I hate musicals. I would still recommend seeing it because I've never met anyone besides my self that didn't like it. Gone With the Wind will surprise just how good (the first half) holds up. And I assume you mean the o.g. Harakiri. More good stuff.

BelmontHeirJanuary 6, 2013 5:04 PM

Your candor is most appreciated. Of that list I can share in needing to see Lawrence and Butch Cassidy. The major reason I've seen Metropolis, Seven Samurai, Chinatown, M, and Citizen Kane, though? Film classes.

Kai MarkJanuary 6, 2013 5:10 PM

Holy shit, man. Thanks for the brave confession.

Hiroaki JohnsonJanuary 6, 2013 5:18 PM

I could be wrong, but based on our agreements on a few other titles I think you're going to REALLY like "Harakiri".

hutchJanuary 6, 2013 5:33 PM

Todd's list are actually classics-not 'so called'. They're the real deal.

Tom StoneJanuary 6, 2013 5:43 PM

You'd be amazed how many Twitch writers have not seen Lawrence of Arabia.

Pa Kent Says MaybeJanuary 6, 2013 6:15 PM

"Pulpy direct to video action and sci-fi stuff" sounds, to me, like "crappy genre" without the blockbuster attached. So, I was sorta correct, after all.

Juan Andrés ValenciaJanuary 6, 2013 6:16 PM

You know what's very funny? People claim that Citizen Kane is one of the most important films in existence and one of the best films ever made but a good chunk of people haven't even seen it or know the plot summary. They even made fun of this in Friends XD

Pa Kent Says MaybeJanuary 6, 2013 6:22 PM

I've seen all the lists and the only movies on any of them I haven't seen are THE SOUND OF MUSIC and LOLITA. So, what do I win? Nothing, probably.

Hiroaki JohnsonJanuary 6, 2013 6:25 PM

Congrats on your approaching doubleshot of Mifune. Note the smokey flavor and subtle hints of sandalwood. It'll warm your vitals like liquid sunshine.

Todd BrownJanuary 6, 2013 6:33 PM

Yes, because so many other teenagers were spending their time renting things like At Play In The Fields Of The Lord. Total genre crap there.

James MarshJanuary 6, 2013 7:02 PM

Alright then, if we're gonna share our individual Lists of Shame right out of the gate, here is mine:

Sunrise
Happy Together
Quadrophenia
Cinema Paradiso
The Gold Rush
The Days of Being Wild
Red Beard
Farewell My Concubine
The 400 Blows
The Warriors
Life is Beautiful
Once Upon a Time in China

Got Luger'dJanuary 6, 2013 7:12 PM

I'm not a critic here but after seeing some of the lists here I feel the courage to out myself as well. Here's my ten:

1. Stalker
2. Sansho the Bailiff
3. Das Boot (though I really have zero interest in the premise, I've always heard it's a must-see)
4. The Searchers
5. A Woman Under the Influence
6. Tokyo Story
7. Ugetsu
8. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
9. Late Spring
10. Wages of Fear

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 7:30 PM

Agreed. The "uber-bells-und-whistles" LoA is one of the finest Blu-rays in existence. I watched this with my wife this very weekend and our jaws kept dropping. Such a difference with my first viewing 25 years ago on VHS...

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 7:32 PM

Witness (also by Peter Weir) is awesome. And it shares its score composer with Lawrence of Arabia!

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 7:36 PM

Heh, HARAKIRI is the first one I'll have to review according to the list James has sent me. I've got the Eureka: Masters of Cinema Blu-ray in front of me and am gladly anticipating this in no small way...

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 7:37 PM

Gone With the Wind is on schedule for February. I own it due to the pimped special edition (surprise...) and while I do not gravitate towards the film itself, I do think I ought to have seen it, which is why I bought it in the first place. Mixed feelings...

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 7:39 PM

Heh, according to the schedule I can leave Sound of Music alone until November.

Ard VijnJanuary 6, 2013 7:40 PM

You put an entire 26-episode anime on there? Respect!!!

Pierce ConranJanuary 6, 2013 8:07 PM

Over the next 12 months, I'll be catching up on these long-neglected classics. Feels good to come clean...

1. Sunrise
2. King Kong
3. Solaris

4. Come and See
5. The Thing

6. Enter the Dragon
7. The Best Years of Our Lives
8. Man With a Movie Camera
9. Safety Last
10. Suspiria
11. Three Colours: Blue
12. Top Hat

Jason GorberJanuary 6, 2013 8:15 PM

Heh, I though we were teasing these over time!

Ah, well, for those keeping score, my own list:

1. ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

2. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

3. FANNY & ALEXANDER (I'm still trying to figure out which version a first-time watcher should see first)

4. BAD NEWS BEARS (David Gordon Green told me to see it in 2000. I'm now listening to him)

5. THE APARTMENT

6. BROTHER'S KEEPER

7. EAST OF EDEN

8. SCARFACE (1932)

9. WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

10. SHOAH

11. IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT

12. WILD STRAWBERRIES
And, yeah, this will be an annual list, no doubt.

BtoFuJanuary 6, 2013 8:22 PM

I've literally just hit the intermission on the Lawrence 50th Anni Blu, came away for a breather and ran right into this. I trust you have a nice setup at home, Todd. The transfer is glorious - I'm only halfway through and can confidently say this - FINALLY - is what I've been waiting for with HD discs. You're in for a real treat.

I also don't feel so bad about never having seen M anymore. =)

A Touch of Zen
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Yojimbo
Eraserhead
Straw Dogs
Ben Hur
Le Samourai
Wings of Desire
Grave of the Fireflies

^_^

Jason GorberJanuary 6, 2013 8:39 PM

I'm making Todd see it in proper fashion... :)

JoshJanuary 6, 2013 8:39 PM

Shoah is a tall order, but I thought they made you watch this as part of the preparation for your Bar Mitzvahs and such.

JoshJanuary 6, 2013 8:43 PM

If we're all sharing, I'm down:

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. Gone With the Wind
3. Bonnie & Clyde
4. On the Waterfront
5. The Gold Rush
6. Chinatown
7. Rashomon
8. 8 1/2
9. 12 Angry Men
10. Once Upon a Time in the West
11. Singin' in the Rain
12. The Bridge on the River Kwai

All twelve of which have seen sitting on my DVD shelves for years.

Dave CanfieldJanuary 6, 2013 8:57 PM

Yours truly will be chiming in on the following

The Long Goodbye
Ugetsu
Ben Hur
Persona

Jason GorberJanuary 6, 2013 9:14 PM

Nah. But it's a shonde if you haven't seen SCHINDLER'S

MarcJanuary 6, 2013 9:17 PM

I've seen nearly every film that most of these lists feature, with a few exceptions on the foreign film front, and many of them I've seen over and over again and count among my favorites (Seven Samurai, Wild Bunch, Jaws, etc). There are plenty of "essentials" I haven't seen, I'm sure, but the one that always gets people (and at present I have no plan on ever watching just so I can be the one guy in the world who hasn't seen it) is E.T. Never seen it in any version...

Kurt HalfyardJanuary 6, 2013 9:34 PM

I'm doing both the series and the film. Yup.

Tom StoneJanuary 6, 2013 9:46 PM

How about Yentl?

Andrew MackJanuary 6, 2013 10:04 PM

I pine for those lazy summer days spent burning out top loaders bi-weekly. I think a lot of us can relate to chumming up to video store clerks and spending the day at the house of the latchkey kid so no adult would tell us to go outside and play. Now I burn out cheap chinatown all-region dvd players but only on evenings and weekends.

Joshua ChaplinskyJanuary 6, 2013 11:11 PM

Guilty as charged. First up for me as well.

Joshua ChaplinskyJanuary 6, 2013 11:15 PM

Full 5 hour Fanny, Jason. No question.

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 12:06 AM

I'm not really an advocate for avoiding a particuar film, but I say that in fully hypocrisy mode, mildly chuffed that I've missed SOUND OF MUSIC and GONE WITH THE WIND until now (despite the fact that I think I can probably do novelizations of both). Still, ET doesn't even rate that high on Spielberg's works for me save for its historical interest. If you haven't seen SPR, SCHINDLER'S, RAIDERS, JURASSIC and even LINCOLN, well, get on it! :)

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 12:27 AM

Sweet. :)

P.w. SheltonJanuary 7, 2013 2:39 AM

Ah, this is amazing. Thanks for this article and confessions. Whenever I admit to having never seen any of the Godfather trilogy, I wait for the inevitable gasps and dropping of jaws. Speaking of Jaws, I'm along the same lines as you, Todd. I've seen bits and pieces but never in its entirety. Don't let those lofty expectations get in the way of a good viewing either. Your list of shame contains some of the greats and rightfully so. I do hope you enjoy them, especially Citizen Kane and Lawrence.

P.w. SheltonJanuary 7, 2013 2:44 AM

I'm also astonished at the amount of those here who haven't seen The Searchers!

Tom StoneJanuary 7, 2013 4:01 AM

My ET is your Jaws. I've seen bits and pieces on TV, enough to equal most of the movie, but never the whole thing in one go. As a result I constantly confuse it with Flight of the Navigator.

Tom StoneJanuary 7, 2013 4:07 AM

I've always been glad to have missed chick flick classics like Grease, Dirty Dancing, Flashdance, Ghost, this sort of thing.

bewar3them00nJanuary 7, 2013 5:19 AM

Wow Todd that's a rather weighty list of shame!
I've seen all on your list at least once. Apart from M..
7 Samurai and Yojimbo, oh what delights await you!
Sometimes finding the time, and the mood to sit down and invest in "classics" can be difficult, but you will find a whole new world of filmic references speaking to you once you familiarise yourself with your list of shame...

AlexJanuary 7, 2013 10:28 AM

For a site that loves asian films, I'm utterly shocked you haven't seen Seven Samurai lol. That is a bold confession though and at least you let us know

Eron SheeanJanuary 7, 2013 10:28 AM

You Twitch folks should all be tied to a cinema chair, eyelids propped open
and forced to watch all films on the shame list back to back. Beer can be
administered intravenously.

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 10:36 AM

The Apartment is on my all-time, ALL TIME top 10 list.

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 10:41 AM

No need for mixed feelings. You'll be amazed at how well such old film not just holds up but has yet to be equalled in some ways. There's a genuine reason why (adjusting for inflation) it's the all time box office king (I think)...but as I've mentioned before, I don't vouch for anything after intermission...

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 10:43 AM

Quadrophenia....YUCK (album and film.) Get those Wong Kar-wai films on blu ray and you'll be gold.

Todd BrownJanuary 7, 2013 10:44 AM

I'm game.

Todd BrownJanuary 7, 2013 10:45 AM

Oh, I know. It's just one of those ones that I've always meant to get to but never have. My gateways to Asia were really John Woo, Tsui Hark and Jackie Chan and when I started digging into older Japanese stuff I just sort of slipped into more obscure stuff.

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 10:46 AM

Not a John Wayne uberfan, but the Searchers is pretty grea-ood. Bonnie and Clyde is the beginning of stark violence in America and has a killer ending. Butch and Sundance is fun. King Kong is still great. The Red Shoes is on my list of shame...oh my...(been trying to purchase it all year)

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 10:49 AM

your list is nothing but fun to watch. None of these need any "investment" as some may say in regards to watching classics. I don't really understand this notion. I'd rather watch any of the films on your list than that snooze fest 'The Avengers'.

P.w. SheltonJanuary 7, 2013 11:20 AM

I had completely forgotten about Flight of the Navigator. I used to love that flick. In my oh so humble opinion, ET is worth one viewing. I'd say give it a go. However, not having seen your list of shame, you may need to put that one off for a while, eh?

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 11:48 AM

Cool, it was actually a last minute addition - I had "BOND50" in that slot, but Mr. Marsh said I had to pick one of the films (I've probably only seen 40% of them). That, of course, will simply be fodder for another article :)

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 11:49 AM

shuttup, you! QUADROPHENIA is amazing, in both forms! When I write up my Criterion post finally, you'll be swayed! SWAYED!

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 11:50 AM

Well, BIRTH OF A NATION is a bit of a slog... :)

JoshJanuary 7, 2013 12:23 PM

Not sure about the intraveneous beer, though, I prefer it the old fashioned way

VyceVictusJanuary 7, 2013 12:32 PM

Butt chugging? Bold.

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 4:15 PM

Nah. Overporduced. The Who drowned in to wanting to be Pink Floyd starting with 'Quadrophenia'. Sorry, bud. 'Who by the numbers' was a rebound, then back into overproduced, over baked, wannabe rock opera obscurity. You can try swaying me, but it won't work, mainly because I love the Who and want to love everything they've ever done. But my honest opinion is above.

sitenoiseJanuary 7, 2013 4:18 PM

I dunno. Not sure what exactly is to be gained from watching a bunch of old movies. I hope someone waxes philosophically on the night and day between seeing these when they came out and watching them now ... especially now that you're all seasoned film critics. j/k

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 4:18 PM

yeah, but, oh so audacious. Just fascinating. It's the equivalent of getting to see the real ads Republicans put out during election season in rural areas "I can't believe I'm seeing this!!!!"

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 4:21 PM

Todd, please stop. I'm starting to judge. But hey, can we make a new list? Of supposed classics that we actually didn't like? My votes: "Jaws", 'The Sound of Music' and anything by Tarantino or starring Will Farrell (totally not funny). Yuck!

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 4:22 PM

I'll trade you status with 'The Sound of Music'-I'll regain a few hours of my life back and you can scratch that off the list.

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 4:26 PM

we shall mud wrestle over this sometime...

hutchJanuary 7, 2013 10:08 PM

erm...arm wrestling will do...

philJanuary 7, 2013 10:17 PM

the hubris and jerk-offery required to proudly post such a list initially revolted me. But after nausea subsided i began to pity you, rather than detest your vanity, because as a product of the times, you are in no way atypical. Like 99% of your generation of self-annointed 'film fans', you have never, with a few token exceptions, been in the slightest bit interested in cinema, outside of the tiny window (1980s onward) of your teenage years weaned on vhs rentals. Like untold other contemporary film reveiwers and bloggers, you anoint yourself as scholarly by having cast a tiny net out in the pond and draggging in a few outre obscurites (usually foreign horror or sex oddities) outside of the mainstream to foster your snobbery. Your strawman response "I may not have seen these classics from the 1920s onwards, but i DID watch AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD! in 1991" is pure puffery.

So you gorged on mainstream junk throughout your formative years and couldnt be bothered watching stuffy, old classics cos the contemporary stuff was more exciting. Fair enough for a kid. But whats been your excuse in the intervening years ( or is that decades?). Its not like the classics were unavailable, ( like in Paul Schraeder's day, when he talks of driving miles to see an 8mm print of NOSEFERATU projected on a wall in a distant fleapit). Everything is a click away these days, and has been for a decade at least, so whats your excuse, film fan?

No excuse- you're just lazy. Bone fucking lazy. You have zero interest in the foundations of the medium in which you make your living, you're like a Subway 'sandwich-artist' who tells people he's a Michelin chef. You should hang your head in shame, rather than poke yr face up with yr cringe-inducing "gee, aw shucks, dont hate me ya'll...i've bin busy" b.s.. Irony died last decade, didntcha hear?

Your list is a fucking disgrace to cinema lovers, and further proof of yr ego is why you assume anyone would give a rats-hole as to whether such an ignoramus will actually get around to watching these films ("gee i guess i HAVE TO now), let alone your reaction to them,

p.s. to those commenting how 'brave' it is to admit utter ignorance and laziness in the medium that this stain doubtless proclaims 'passion' for...just stop, ok. He deserves to be shamed, not proclaimed.

JoshJanuary 7, 2013 10:40 PM

Um, sorry?

BtoFuJanuary 7, 2013 10:43 PM

you didn't include your list phil :, ( :, ( :, (

MattsuzakaJanuary 7, 2013 10:54 PM

Wow, someone's a pathetic elitist who spends way too much time trying to make them self feel better about being a sad, lonely troll. No "real/respectable" fan of cinema would ever disregard another because they haven't seen a handful of classics. It only outs you as a pretentious jack-off who thinks he knows it all.

Also, next time you attempt to anonymously (or cowardly) belittle someone in a public forum, you might want to look at your grammar and spelling before you hit post.

Todd BrownJanuary 7, 2013 11:16 PM

Oh, the shame of catching up on some classics and encouraging others to do the same! However shall I live with myself?!?

Todd BrownJanuary 7, 2013 11:18 PM

Yep, the restoration is screening in one of the best houses in town on the 14th. Will see it all big-like.

Todd BrownJanuary 7, 2013 11:23 PM

And a 'serious' answer to this - not that it really deserves one - is that I was ever so lazily educating myself on a completely different canon of classics. The complete Kitano. The complete Von Trier. Golden age Hong Kong. You'll notice most of my list is American. That's because I've been far more focused on international film for most of the time. Plus I watch 300 or so new films every year for both personal interest and work of different sorts while having a wife, two kids and a life outside of this stuff. They're only movies and there are only so many hours in the day.

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 11:33 PM

"Proudly"? I think close reading may uncover the word "shame" used somewhere in this article... Can you spot it? Can you?

Jason GorberJanuary 7, 2013 11:34 PM

Hell, even =I= haven't seen THE BOSS OF IT ALL...yet. :)

Less Lee MooreJanuary 7, 2013 11:41 PM

Oh god, I envy you seeing EAST OF EDEN and THE APARTMENT for the first time! So excellent.

Less Lee MooreJanuary 7, 2013 11:42 PM

MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA! Really good!

Less Lee MooreJanuary 7, 2013 11:44 PM

THE SOUND OF MUSIC is my favorite musical ever. I know it by heart. It's just so excellent.

Less Lee MooreJanuary 7, 2013 11:45 PM

Oh and the original SCARFACE is great! I love Paul Muni in that.

Less Lee MooreJanuary 7, 2013 11:46 PM

Ahhhhh LE SAMOURAI. Okay I gotta calm down. It's so great, though.

Less Lee MooreJanuary 7, 2013 11:48 PM

This is cool because there are a lot of these I haven't seen either, despite lots of film classes. It's always fun to discover a classic for the first time and be absolutely amazed by how you ever got along without it.

James MarshJanuary 7, 2013 11:49 PM

Paul Schrader is spelled like this - information that's only a click away. What's your excuse for getting that wrong?

Less Lee MooreJanuary 7, 2013 11:51 PM

ON THE WATERFRONT made me realize why people talked about Brando in rapturous tones. Stunning film. And daaaaaamn ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Wish I could see that one again for the first time. You've got some great movies ahead of you on this list.

philJanuary 7, 2013 11:56 PM

lol. wot a response. Von Trier...Golden Age Hong Kong...Kitano...oh, plus 300 new films a year. Thanks for proving my exactly. Your film 'education' (sic) is a tiny window of the total history of cinema. You are a phoney and a fraud. Eos. "They're only movies and there are only so many hours in the day." Yup. brilliant. Bravo...

philJanuary 8, 2013 12:04 AM

the fact you reduce never having watched the foundations of the art which you think you are an expert in with 'catching up with some classics' just shows you up for how wilfully ignorant you are. Seriously quit while yr ahead. But as the lists from fellow posters prove, you arent alone in the narrow poertal that you veiw cinema from.

philJanuary 8, 2013 12:06 AM

the truth hurts, huh?

philJanuary 8, 2013 12:11 AM

do u know wot 'hubris' is?

philJanuary 8, 2013 12:16 AM

anyway, I'm gonna leave this lil' circle jerk to 'catch up' on some 80s 'classics', thanks for the laughs. Todd...hope you dont find the old ones too dull. But never mind, HOBBIT 2's not too far away....so you can tweet about that during all the 70 yrs of cinema you previously havent bothered with.

Tom StoneJanuary 8, 2013 12:22 AM

You're entitled to your opinion, however violently you like to word it. However one thing - Todd ain't lazy. He actually manages to do more with his time that just about anyone I know.

philJanuary 8, 2013 12:31 AM

Q:You know wots lower than a troll? A: a grammar nazi, a 'pathetic elitist' is a grammar nazi who makes up words. Look up "them self' you 'pretentious jack-off". Also , you missed a colon after "anonymously". you might wanna check that before you hit your post. Double fail: Have nice day....

Tom StoneJanuary 8, 2013 12:35 AM

ET isn't on my list. I wasn't going to publish mine until the viewing, but here goes. I'm Australian, so there's a few local films here that I've felt pressure to watch over the years:

Lawrence of Arabia
Gone with the Wind
Babe
On the Waterfront
Planet of the Apes
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rashomon
Walkabout
Shine
Stand By Me
Ben Hur
The Piano

Also, Flight of the Navigator is awesome. It gets time travel right.

GuestJanuary 8, 2013 12:42 AM

I think "narrow poertal" in the comment below is even better. It almost made me spit out my coffee all over the keyboard. I want to play that game, POERTAL 2

philJanuary 8, 2013 12:44 AM

u got me, grammar nazi. awesome job. Personally,I woulda used 'spelt' over 'spelled'...but each to his own.

Btw, Is 'Paul Schrader' really spelt like '-'? weird.

God I love grammar nazis when they get basics wrong. information only a click away, indeed! or should that be '-'?

oh, bravo guest! another classic!

Tom StoneJanuary 8, 2013 12:46 AM

But pretty cool Armond White reads Twitch, no?

Tom StoneJanuary 8, 2013 12:48 AM

I'll echo this for The Apartment. Such a great movie

MattsuzakaJanuary 8, 2013 12:54 AM

Ha ha, a colon actually wouldn't go after anonymously, but if you say so you adorable little creature, you!

GuestJanuary 8, 2013 12:54 AM

Phil? Phil Connors?

MattsuzakaJanuary 8, 2013 12:57 AM

It must if you felt the need to respond twice to the same comment, Phillip. I think I might love you.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 1:06 AM

You've got the best email address ever, btw, Mattsuzaka.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 1:07 AM

Good call. Gorber's a hairy man.

MattsuzakaJanuary 8, 2013 1:11 AM

Ha ha, thanks!

Niels MatthijsJanuary 8, 2013 1:24 AM

So you've seen em ALL? Wow, you're like the true Pokemaster of cinephiles!

James MarshJanuary 8, 2013 1:38 AM

So, just to confirm, you're just here to get riled up and make trouble, right? Or did you actually want to discuss movies?

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 1:39 AM

Oh, I love Stalker. Probably even moreso than Solaris.

James MarshJanuary 8, 2013 1:40 AM

"You really should never of posted that list of your shortcomings. It'll hang around your neck forevermore." Boy, have you totally missed the point of this feature.

philJanuary 8, 2013 1:41 AM

oh yes it would, you adorable grammar nazi, you. Hows the 'them self' search coming along?

philJanuary 8, 2013 1:48 AM

why adress the nitty gritty when theres typos to rotflyas?. But seriously, if a misspelling causes you to almost snot a beverage, then i pity you. Tip: Avoid EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND...it may prove fatal to your hyper sensitive funny bone.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 1:48 AM

That's because he's seen everything ever made.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 1:51 AM

Something that you're showing significantly more of than anyone else on this thread.

philJanuary 8, 2013 1:51 AM

Todd, today's top tip...if you cant handle mockery, dont ask for it by ending your article with the sentence "you may mock accordingly".

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 1:55 AM

I reserve the right to mock in return, should the opportunity present.

MattsuzakaJanuary 8, 2013 2:09 AM

Oh Philip! I dance whimsically to the tap of your every eloquent keystroke, continuously being taken aback by your effervescent charm and wit. I think we're at the point where we can hold hands, so long as you keep your colon to yourself.

philJanuary 8, 2013 4:49 AM

thanks, douche...keep dancing around the main point of my original comment. u were wrong on both of your pathetic grammatical 'scores'. thats all u got? go back under yr rock. 'them self'? grammar nazi? anyone?

philJanuary 8, 2013 4:53 AM

tragic. where did you , in your original post, 'reserve the right to mock in return'? honestly, you aint giving me anything to refute my mockery of your list of inadequacies.

philJanuary 8, 2013 4:56 AM

nope. u have.

philJanuary 8, 2013 5:04 AM

no, Todd, no one, ever, on this thread could ever out-do yr hubris in posting yr utterly shocking and embarressing list. Ever. seriously....get a job as a publicist for a studio. u aint a lover of film.

Tom StoneJanuary 8, 2013 6:06 AM

Haha, this is truly comedy gold, given James wrote the feature!

GuestJanuary 8, 2013 6:31 AM

Well here is my list. I've missed most of the early Kubrik and some Hitchcock.

Some of these I've seen bits and pieces of, like Casablanca and I have M in my collection along with The Pianist but I've never just gotten around to watch them. Too much low brow crap to watch.

Lawrence Of Arabia

The 400 Blows
Rosemary's Baby
Robocop
The Searchers

clearly a few people on here that aren't Twitch folk HAVE seen Troll 2

Omar HaukssonJanuary 8, 2013 6:37 AM

Well here is my list. I've missed most of the early Kubrik and some Hitchcock.

Lawrence Of Arabia
Rear Window
North By North West
Sunset Boulevard
Paths Of Glory
Barry Lyndon
The Green Mile
M
Casablanca
Night Of The Hunter
The Pianist
It's A Wonderful Life

Andrew MackJanuary 8, 2013 8:36 AM

I've piggybacked on some of the same titles in interest of adding a variety of opinions. And laziness. And, "Ooh. Why didn't I think of that one". And cross dressing. ;-)

Some Like It Hot
Gone With the Wind
Scarface (1983)
The Deer Hunter
Raging Bull
Chinatown
The Day The Earth Stood Still
The Great Dictator
Casablanca
The Exorcist
Annie Hall
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Hiroaki JohnsonJanuary 8, 2013 9:58 AM

Unrelated, what's considered the golden age of HK? "Touch of Zen" and "Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan" or like "Police Story" to "The Killer" and "Iron Monkey" era?

Hiroaki JohnsonJanuary 8, 2013 10:02 AM

I think the recent posting by Criterion hints at a blu-ray release this year.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 10:07 AM

As a general rule people talk about the Golden Age of Hong Kong being the (roughly) decade following the decline of the Shaw Brothers, which had dominated so much until then. Young John Woo, young Tsui Hark, young Jackie Chan, etc. They've never really had an injection of fresh talent that comes even close to matching that period since.

That era was pretty much my gateway to Asian film in general. I went from there to 70s Japan, current (at the time) people like Kitano, who was just coming off Sonatine (still my favorite of his) etc. Korea came later and the SE Asia region is a current obsession ...

Sean SmithsonJanuary 8, 2013 10:18 AM

My list -

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
SOLARIS
TOKYO STORY
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
LA DOLCE VITA
RED BEARD
AMARCORD
McCABE AND MRS. MILLER
PIERROT LE FOU
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
VERTIGO

And Phil, I can guarantee I saw METROPLOIS, CITIZEN KANE, M, etc before you. We're talking all before I was 8 years old. I was lucky enough to be raised by film students on the east coast. Ditto MOTHRA, HOUSE OF USHER, MARK OF THE DEVIL, SHAFT and all the Disney stuff up that point.

So "neener neener go suck your own wiener!" you sad basement dwelling troll.

Hiroaki JohnsonJanuary 8, 2013 11:09 AM

Gotcha, while I've seen quite a few things from that time period, it's a little spotty. Sadly preservation has never seemed like HK's strong suit... Vast chunks of Jackie Chan and Tsui Harks catalog still await some decent Blu transfers.

As an aside, I know Shaw brothers was in the toilet around then, but "Secret Service of the Imperial Court" is one of my favs from that early to mid 80's stuff.

hutchJanuary 8, 2013 11:36 AM

I'd say 'Touch of Zen' and it's contemporaries are classic era, 'Police Story' and it's brethren are 'Golden era'.

hutchJanuary 8, 2013 11:43 AM

This dude is taking his venom to an absurd level...but I do have to admit, Todd, your list was an eyebrow raiser. I'm with you in that individual paths can take you down more obscure roads, mine did too, but somehow I always managed to get to the classics-and they're so much more satisfying than most contemporary offering no matter how clever this generation thinks it is.
Anyway, the worst of it will be that you reprimand yourself for waiting so long to check these films. You're going to enjoy the majority of them. I would give a list of shame, but my list of shame is usually just plain ignorance to a film's existence rather than knowing of it but not viewing. So my list of shame is of classics I've never heard of. Can't name 'em cuz I don't know 'em. Have yet to see 'Wings of Desire', but I do own and love 'Wings' (1st Oscar winner).

hutchJanuary 8, 2013 11:46 AM

Back. To. The. Future. ?!?!?!?

hutchJanuary 8, 2013 11:48 AM

Never went to film school. But I sat in a film 101 class once and they were watching 'Crash' (2004 or whatever), so I excused myself.

hutchJanuary 8, 2013 11:49 AM

Is there a decent dvd release of this film?

hutchJanuary 8, 2013 11:51 AM

Yeay! That makes 3 of us! Go Shirley and Jack!

MattsuzakaJanuary 8, 2013 11:52 AM

Phyllis, I thought we were already beyond all that nonsense?! You can’t blame the fisherman for throwing out such a deceptive bait. Fish are stupid, Phyllis, but it’s difficult to see that when you have all that saltwater in your eyes.

This is all really unfortunate because, quite frankly, I thought our relationship was growing at a nice pace, but it’s clearly going in the wrong direction now. I’ll be going back to my “yr” rock where I’ll be better appreciated. And by me I mean “u,” because apparently I’m a vowel.

Less Lee MooreJanuary 8, 2013 12:36 PM

Oh god!

Less Lee MooreJanuary 8, 2013 12:36 PM

Yes, it's on Criterion.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 3:18 PM

To me that's easily as crazy as anything on my list.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 3:19 PM

I'll happily vouch for Wings Of Desire. It's my favorite Wenders.

Todd BrownJanuary 8, 2013 3:20 PM

Fully agree.

Kurt HalfyardJanuary 8, 2013 9:27 PM

AGREED on the Leone picture, if I were voting for BEST FILM OF ALL TIME, it would be ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST...

jedi4life2003January 8, 2013 11:28 PM

Absolutely agree

jedi4life2003January 9, 2013 12:11 AM

I have met a lot of hard-boiled eggs in my time, but you're twenty minutes.

Darren BakerJanuary 9, 2013 4:19 AM

*hugs* Smile more, Phil!

Juan Andrés ValenciaJanuary 11, 2013 9:33 PM

David Cronenberg's Crash is pretty awesome though.