Arnold Will Be CONAN Once Again

Arnold Will Be CONAN Once Again

And here it is: Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning to the role that launched him to stardom.

Universal have announced that they are moving forward with The Legend Of Conan, a film that will ignore Conan The Destroyer and the 2011 Conan The Barbarian entirely and pick up the story as a direct sequel to John Milius' 1982 Conan The Barbarian. And Arnold is coming back to take up his crown and sword and play the part of Conan once again.

Producer Fredrik Malmberg says:

The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior and this is the take of the film we will make. It's that mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle.
Writer-producer Chris Morgan advises we should think of this "as Conan's Unforgiven," and that sounds pretty damn good to me.

More from Around the Web

Rod SmithOctober 26, 2012 12:07 PM

This could genuinely be Schwarzenegger's 'Unforgiven' or 'Harry Brown', it sounds very promising, fingers crossed!

UrotsukidojiOctober 26, 2012 12:28 PM

I can't believe I have been waiting for this for 30 years now..... finally!

mattOctober 26, 2012 12:57 PM

I never thought they'd do it after that horrible Momoa one, but this is awesome! my dreams are answered! I hope it's light on CG crap and is legit! This is rad!

lihilaszloOctober 26, 2012 1:59 PM

Will the real Conan please stand up? thank you.

JoeOctober 26, 2012 2:26 PM

I never thought Arnold was the right person to play Conan and I still don't. I just wish they would adapt one of Howard's original stories, maybe 'Red Nails'. They could have done so much with this character but instead they have just churned out one crappy movie after another.

QinlongOctober 26, 2012 3:20 PM

This is beyond awesome. If John McTiernan is out of prison by then, he NEEDS to direct this.

NunciusOctober 26, 2012 6:04 PM

Adapting one of Howard's original stories would be awesome imo, however my personal choice would be The people of the black circle.

Martin WagnerOctober 26, 2012 6:59 PM

Um, dude's like 65. Is he still adequately well-muscled and ripped? I know this is like a fanboy wet dream but I mean, come on, can Arnie pull it off at his age?

Sebo McPowersOctober 26, 2012 7:11 PM

BEST news ever!
The original Conan is my favourite movie of all time and seeing Arnie as Conan again is a dream come true :)

IronsOctober 26, 2012 8:52 PM

Did you miss the point about this being a film about an AGEING Conan ?

MarkOctober 27, 2012 7:42 AM

No one is more perfect to play an old barbarian king more than the original barbarian, now old. It's damn perfect, and i am very excited about it

taranaichOctober 27, 2012 9:01 AM

"
Sorry, Jason Momoa, you're one and done. Which - given the reasons why - is absolutely fantastic news for any fans of Conan The Barbarian out there, regardless of whether you enjoyed the 2011 version or not."

Fantastic for fans of the 1982 film, not so much fans of the original character. It's like if they announced a sequel to the Tristar Godzilla: great if you actually liked it, not so great if you preferred the real deal.

Phil MucciOctober 27, 2012 12:24 PM

I wish Milius was directing - nobody has topped his balls-out approach to the genre. As for Arnold, there are only two roles he was born to play: the Terminator and Conan.

Martin WagnerOctober 27, 2012 12:29 PM

Not at all, I just hope they can pull it off.

Mike MalackowskiOctober 27, 2012 4:56 PM

Yep. Because zombies are soooo popular.
This is the worst idea since, well, since any idea of anything with Ahnold attached to it.