BREAKING: Taylor Swift Offered Eponine In Tom Hooper's LES MISERABLES

BREAKING: Taylor Swift Offered Eponine In Tom Hooper's LES MISERABLES
At the end of November word came out that director Tom Hooper was auditioning a number of women to play the role of Eponine in his upcoming film adaptation of the musical Les Miserables. Among those who auditioned were reportedly Lea Michele, Scarlett Johansson, Evan Rachel Wood and singer Taylor Swift.

Twitch has now learned that Swift has emerged as Hooper's choice for the part and has received an offer for the role from producers at Universal. Should she accept she will be joining Hugh Jackman, Helena Bonham Carter, Russell Crowe, Sacha Baron Cohen and Anne Hathaway with Amanda Seyfried also offered a major part.

More about Les Miserables

annmalik22January 3, 2012 10:04 PM

um, did anyone else see her "acting" in that Valentine's Day movie??

erikadanfJanuary 3, 2012 10:07 PM

this is awful, i guess this movie will be a miss for me..

icerollJanuary 3, 2012 10:15 PM

I'm sure she will give a great performance. She obviously impressed the casting people, beating out the other choices. Also, her role in Valentine's Day was a ditzy teenager, and she played that role very well.

winterm1220236January 3, 2012 10:58 PM

i'm literally crying right now. just... NO.

jenniferswift34January 3, 2012 11:20 PM

Oh yes! I'm so excited!

asilanassemJanuary 3, 2012 11:36 PM

I'm so glad she got the role. I can't wait for the movie to come out!!!

JayJanuary 3, 2012 11:48 PM

Expect for not being able to act, not having the range or the right look Taylor is perfect.

WTF, Really? Evan Rachel Wood or Lea Michele would have been way better choices.

JayJanuary 3, 2012 11:50 PM

No she didn't she didn't even play that well. She also doesn't have the range needed to sing the songs .

amellondanceJanuary 4, 2012 1:52 AM

I now refuse to see this movie. This is a TERRIBLE choice. So so so wrong. I love Eponine's part and her songs are beautiful. Ughhhh her acting is going to kill it! And it's not like it's some small part we can ignore and just sit through. DEAR LORD WHY?! Over Lea Michele too?! I don't even like her that much but know she would be a no brainer for this part!
And come on, even looks wise this was such a wrong choice. Yes, that pale, frail, blonde girl is the scrappy, street tough Eponine. I don't think so. OY.

BethanyJanuary 4, 2012 3:05 AM

The problem is not her singing or even her underdeveloped acting... The problem is the character just doesn't fit her or anything close to the roles Taylor should be playing. Eponine's type is something a little bit more closer to an ethnicity of some sort and she is a girl who had serious issues that need to be dealt with in a very real, true, way... She is NOT a blonde white happy-go-lucky country girl.. Just look at the women who have played her on Broadway. It's a type that Taylor, even though i am a HUGE fan of hers, just isn't at all... I just hope she shocks me in a good way.. otherwise, i will be extremely disappointed.

BeckyJanuary 4, 2012 5:33 AM

agree with iceroll, nobody has seen whether or not she can really act, so maybe this will be a great opportunity to see her act, and i also think it's a little sad that people can't see past her singing career, like it or not, she's talented, give her a chance people!

light_keeperJanuary 4, 2012 8:56 AM

Get Evan Rachel Wood, god damn it.

countryfan75January 4, 2012 11:15 AM

Taylor Swift is incredibly talented. She is the best singer in this movie and I CANT WAIT to see her give serious acting a try. This role seems right down her alley and I'm sure Taylor will give it her heart and soul.

directordanJanuary 4, 2012 3:34 PM

Wow. You people are ruthless. Let's face it ... no matter who got the role you would all be upset. Give Taylor a chance.
While I might not be her biggest fan, I can see how they might be trying to make this an interesting blend of actors and singers. If any of you don't think she's a singer I suggest you look at the Pollstar touring results. Taylor is #2 for selling out her Speak Now Tour just behind U2. I think she can pull this off.

abefromanJanuary 4, 2012 4:39 PM

This is some great news! I wondered when people would find out that Taylor actually began in music theatre. My roommate knew her growing up and told me that Taylor was Maria in the Sound of Music and Sandy in Grease and some other roles? Now we can see just how good she is as Eponine. Break a leg, Taylor!

galabs2000January 4, 2012 6:01 PM

find out more about real Scarlett by typing Scarlett Johansson clone in Google search bar and you would see much more then in The Island movie..

jenmal311January 4, 2012 7:25 PM

I can't wait! She is incredibly talented!

Joe YoungJanuary 4, 2012 10:07 PM

Hmmmm...what about Emmy Rossum..?

Too busy with TV...?

Ah well....

jwalk415January 5, 2012 4:24 AM

The shit has officially hit the fan for how low the film industry can go now and how creatively bankrupt it can go but this really isn't a surprise. As I've mentioned before, it's only a matter of time Justin Bieber will infest his way into a film with big prospects. Shoot, I'm still waiting to hear his name as one of the leads to recent remake #1000 in Akira. Then in the near future, Brett Ratner will remake Citizen Kane with The Jersey Shore's Situation as Charles Foster Kane.

jwalk415January 5, 2012 4:31 AM

You know, Scarlett Johansson and Evan Rachel Wood should take this as a personal insult. It's like an illiterate being given the national spelling bee trophy over a ten time respected winner. Too bad Kanye wasn't around to prevent the producers and Hooper from offering the role to this little spoiled brat.

huffy08January 5, 2012 9:49 AM

Lulz, E!online must have linked this article judging by half these comments.
If I was interested in the movie at all I'd probably be annoyed by this casting, but fortunately I'm not. The King's Speech was enjoyable but not because of Hooper's direction, regardless of what those dopes in the Academy/DGA may have said. I could be wrong but I can't really see him bringing anything special to this.

ErinJanuary 5, 2012 10:00 AM

This would be the worst casting in FOREVER. The vocal chops it takes to be Eponine should have ruled Taylor out, alone. This movie is going to be 100% horrid.

It is not true that "no matter who got the role" people would be upset. Taylor is a horrible actress and a worse singer. Anyone who's ever heard her attempt to sing live knows that. I was so excited for this movie when Tom Hooper signed on, but I will absolutely not be seeing it if this is true.

se7enJanuary 5, 2012 1:56 PM

Theatre lovers and movie lovers alike should hope and pray that Taylor Swift accepts this role. Yes, I said it. Why? Firstly, I have been an avid theatre attendee for decades. I have watched the lack of interest in Broadway grow over the years. Plummeting ticket sales have been in the headlines everyday.We need to have the next generation interested in what Broadway has to offer. How do we do that when we've been trying for decades to grow this audience? Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift HAS to have had so many movie offers by now but what is she drawn to? Broadway. We should be counting our lucky stars and jumping up and down at this news! If any of you future thespians anticipate being on the stage on Broadway, you'd better hope there is a stage for you to be on. There will be fewer and fewer roles available for you. Do I think Taylor can save Broadway? No, not by herself, but she can sure help. For movie lovers w ho have also watched a steady decrease in ticket sales understand that there is only one female who can launch and execute a tour that draws millions.Taylor Swift. If you think any of the other leading ladies could do that, think again. Lastly, Taylor is very talented and I think she will shock and surprise most of you nay-sayers if given the chance. So Taylor, please, please, please, please take this role. We need you.

https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawkhwpjOVHxkaxQI4rWY6DZoS9sLrbvFP-wJanuary 14, 2012 2:27 PM

Whether or not she can act is only the tip of the ice berg. Eponine's singing part is very demanding, and only a naturally talented and well-trained singer can handle it. Taylor Swift, bless her, is way out of her depth.

Anyone who doesn't understand this, Google "Lea Salonga on my own" (without the quotes) to see how it ought to be done. This is simply outside of Swift's capabilities.