See THE WOMAN in Sydney Australia WEDNESDAY (10/08) night with special Q&A!

Contributing Writer; Melbourne, Australia (@Kwenton)
See THE WOMAN in Sydney Australia WEDNESDAY (10/08) night with special Q&A!

Lucky McKee's challenging and intelligent horror The Woman will be playing Wednesday night at the Chauvel Cinema in Paddington Sydney! Starts 8pm.

Special guests Director Lucky McKee (May) and actress Pollyanna McIntosh (the woman) will also be there for Q&A!

Out on a night of hunting, a man spots a primitive, wild woman whose feral ways he tries to tame after he captures her. In his basement he subjugates her through violence in an effort to 'civilize' her. The essence of what it is to be human is tested until breaking point when his family becomes involved and the atrocities he is responsible for come to light in a shocking and unfathomable way.

If you haven't seen it, catch it in Sydney, if you have, see it again!

The wonderful artwork above is the exclusive Australian key image for The Woman, designed by Peter Barrett and co at Hoof design in Melbourne http://www.hoof.net.au/about.html

Lucky McKeeJack KetchumPollyanna McIntoshBrandon Gerald FullerLauren Ashley CarterChris KrzykowskiHorrorThriller

More from Around the Web

BUY TICKETS TO THE WOMAN HERE

More about The Woman

Sean "The Butcher" SmithsonAugust 9, 2011 11:21 PM

"The Woman is a film that demands to be seen more than once, it is layered with rich complex detail that adds to the mystery of the story and the reasoning for the underlying madness."

If that is a fancy way of saying THE ABSOLUTE WORST MOVIE OF THE YEAR, then I agree.

Rich and complex? The performances are amateurish at best, even the usually good Angela Bettis is bested by the young tyke who plays the adolescent daughter. The script is asinine, the film itself has no visual relationship to the content (it looks like a badly shot local commercial meets a visually uninteresting student film), and getting this cannibal character from Ketchum's OFF SEASON/OFFSPRING universe into this "sex slave for suburban Xtians and their kids" is just beyond lame, and unbelievable in total (even for a film of this kind). The turnarounds these characters all do in the film, like accepting Dad bringing home a dirty feral woman and stringing her up in their garage...again there was in incongruity in the material and how it was being put on film by the director and the cast.

I thought anything would be better than the completely dunderheaded OFFSPRING when it came to bringing Ketchum's cannibal family to the screen. Factoring in the fact that I adore the fgilm MAY by McKee and starring Bettis (we'll conveniently forget about the semi-sequel turd ROMAN which Bettis directed and McKee starred in) I had high hopes for THE WOMAN. Especially after hearing all the controversy, which I am convinced was manufactured at this point. THE WOMAN isn't nearly as controversial as potential viewers were led to believe. Total. Fucking. Bullshit.

THE WOMAN is the cinematic equivalent to Spinal Tap's "Shark Sandwich" album.

Kwenton BelletteAugust 9, 2011 11:27 PM

OUCH mate! I felt that all the way from where you typed it to Australia, Melbourne! Give me a moment to get back up off the floor. Love your passion!

Sean "The Butcher" SmithsonAugust 9, 2011 11:56 PM

Ditto atcha Kwenton! :)

But holy fuuuuck this film was worse than something by, say, even a Tim Sullivan! And THAT is scary.

Sean "The Butcher" SmithsonAugust 9, 2011 11:58 PM

Hey Kwenton, I think you need to re-copy/paste your text from Notepad to the body of Movable Type. I see you have the same problem I did in my news header on the main page, when I was copying from Word. Something about it this posting engine does NOT like.

Sorry to derail the thread buddy, just a heads up. :)

Kwenton BelletteAugust 10, 2011 12:04 AM

Cheers man, what I do is go into None instead of Rich Text and delete the jargon preceding the article content.

J HurtadoAugust 10, 2011 3:30 PM

I really liked it, you can check my review. The Offspring was complete garbage, though.

Sean "The Butcher" SmithsonAugust 10, 2011 6:12 PM

I love ya Jay, but THE WOMAN was a piece of garbage and every bit as bad as OFFSPRING.
I am going to have to read the review though. then we can take it outside at 3 O Clock! :)

I usually don't go off on bad movies. That said, this is so bad I have to say it out loud. I'd stand by it faced by Bettis or McKee or Van DeHoughton or Ketchum himself as well.

Shit is shit.

This movie is a MINUS ten. It sounds cruel, but both Thom carnell and I were almost pointing and laughing. The scene where the Father first spies The Woman is incredibly lame and uneffective. The guy whol played The Father? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Dude, KEEP YOUR DAY JOB. I was offended by how bad the male kid was too in his lack of talent, not by what happens on screen. Even the dirt in this film looks clean.

EPIC FAIL.

rawsharkAugust 11, 2011 9:30 AM

Wow - what's your problem with this film Sean? To trash it once in a feedback thread is fair enough, but three times?

I actually think this is one of the best horror films in years. Great performances, a great soundtrack and a very strong script that combines the darker elements of Jack Ketchum's work brilliantly with the sly humour of Lucky McKee.

There are so many subtleties in there that lead up to the inevitable (yet still quite shocking ending) you may well just have missed them.

And you're so wrong on the performances - both the father and the kid are so brilliantly creepy it's outstanding.