Bey Logan Responds To Michael Biehn On THE BLOOD BOND

Bey Logan Responds To Michael Biehn On THE BLOOD BOND
Yesterday ScreenAnarchy ran a brief interview with Michael Biehn in which Biehn discusses his experiences as the director of The Blood Bond in which Biehn states that he feels the film was taken from his control and mishandled by producer Bey Logan. In the interests of getting both sides of the story we immediately forwarded this story to Logan and invited his comments, which follow below.

From Bey Logan:

I have noted Michael Biehn's comments in your interview, and would like to preface my own by thanking him publicly for his hard work on Blood Bond: Shadowguard.

I am certain Michael did the best he could on the film. As his producer, I think I put an unfair amount of pressure on Michael by asking him to make his directorial debut on a film shot at a studio in China, given that he doesn't speak Chinese and doesn't seem to have any particular affinity for Asian culture, language or martial arts...

In retrospect, we should just have hired him as the fine screen actor he is. The studio was great and Michael is a decent director: it was just a bad match. I understand Michael is now directing his own films in the US, and I'm sure that, on his native soil, he'll have better experiences than he did in China.

I would also like to note that the viciously unfair review that started this dialogue was written by someone dismissed from the production very early in the process. (He does refer to this himself, but, then, 'qui s'accuse se excuse'...) [Logan is referring to this review by James Marsh.]

After a long road from shoot to screen, I believe Blood Bond:Shadowguard is a decent east-meets-west actioner, coming soon to a DVD store near you. Fans of Michael Biehn will see him in a neat Asian-set thriller that easily stands alongside most of his output from the last ten years, and in a film to which he made an invaluable contribution.

I hope, in time, the warm experiences we all shared while making the film will outweigh the bitterness Michael seems to feel now, and that he can enjoy this unique experience for what it was.

- Bey

More about The Blood Bond

superchopperJuly 12, 2011 5:14 PM

A classy response from Mr. Logan.

Biehn is one of my favorite actors but it does seem a little weird that he was so upset by having this movie taken away from him-- then on his next American movie, decides to take it away from director while they were still shooting so he could direct it himself. I'm not sure what that says...

s

HKFanaticJuly 12, 2011 5:36 PM

"...that easily stands alongside most of his output from the last ten years..." Is it just me or is that kind of a back-handed compliment? Heh. Biehn hasn't been up to much the past ten years, outside of the stray cameo in "Terror Planet" and whatnot...

MarioJuly 12, 2011 8:25 PM

I think Bey wants the comment to look classy but he plays the race card right away and then proceeds with back-handed compliments, too. Anybody who read his production blog of the film could see the writing on the wall as to what sort of film this would be. Why even hire a name like Michael Biehn to help spray paint the set? The pictures don't lie. Mr. Bey seems to be the king of veiled jabs about Mr. Biehn on his blog too. Just say what you mean and move on, Mr. Bey.

cinesimonjJuly 12, 2011 11:22 PM

What a creepy response.
How anybody could think that response is sincere, is beyond me.

HKFanaticJuly 13, 2011 12:27 AM

I tried to find the relevant posts on Bey's blog but 80% of his site is just him posing in photos with Asian girls. What the heck.

MarioJuly 13, 2011 10:19 AM

There were about two months of relevant posts from the production, right at the end of 2009. There were repeated mentions of hiring just about anybody to fill in needed roles and I was personally disturbed to see Michael Biehn helping to paint a set and then later digging ditches for the production. I can't believe Mr. Biehn stayed on that set as long as he did. If those posts are still there you'll have to wade through a lot of pictures of Bey Logan posing with young Asian women to find them. I guess being a producer has its benefits.

SBullEJuly 13, 2011 1:55 PM

LMAO - folks using words like "classy" and "sincere". This is Bey "look at me" Logan you're talking about.

crazybeeJuly 13, 2011 5:08 PM

My heart goes out to Michael Biehn on this one. It's sad too, cause apart from the wooden acting, I liked seeing him in Dragon Squad, and the thought of him being in more HK films made me happy. Probably not anymore, after his experience on Blood Bond. What a waste of Simon Yam too.

billydakingJuly 13, 2011 6:22 PM

Which movie was that? If it was "The Victim," which is the only upcoming movie for which he has a director's credit, he was the director of that film from day 1. It also was only shot in 11 days, so the idea that he took the film away from "the director while they were still shooting so he could direct it himself" doesn't seem possible given the timeframe.

billydakingJuly 13, 2011 6:27 PM

The fact that he has done a HK movie or two kinda contradicts Logan's idea that Biehn didn't have an affinity for Asian cinema, don't it? Logan also completely sidesteps Biehn's main complaints about what went down with The Blood Bond--an utterly inexperienced crew and that he didn't have the opportunity to do anything with the film in post-production. Logan's response is a classic damage-control piece designed to deflect blame from himself.

crazybeeJuly 13, 2011 8:03 PM

Let it be known that Bey is actually a pretty swell guy (when I went to Hong Kong many years ago, he actually met a friend and I for lunch and a stroll around HK), so this whole situation seems unfortunate. In the end, I believe Biehn's comment on the inexperienced crew is most likely the culprit in why the movie is what it is.

Bey LoganJuly 13, 2011 9:50 PM

This is exactly why I don't contribute to these kind of forums: you just can't win! Though, in this case, I did, because I receive a bridge mending private message from Michael after my post ran, which I very much appreciate. Living and working in this far outpost in Hong Kong, I'm flattered to get even this much attention from the fans, positive or negative, so keep it coming, guys!

chucksambuchinoJuly 13, 2011 10:40 PM

Most of all, I think TWITCH should be thanked for all this. I myself was wondering what exactly happened with TBB and Biehn not directing it anymore, etc. So thank you, TWITCH, for filling in the blanks.

All this is unfortunate, but life goes on. Looking forward to THE VICTIM.

arturoJuly 14, 2011 9:07 AM

I wonder if Michael Biehn will be given the opportunity to finnish his movie the way he wanted?? Directors cut instead of producers cut..

PaulJanuary 29, 2012 3:57 AM

Just came on this site to see the Blood Bond Trailer. Its funny but the old saying "People that cant do, criticize" becomes very relevant when I read the above postings. Very few of you if any on this blog/posting have ever made a film, let alone been involved in the process, so you haven't the vaguest clue what goes into it actually getting a film made. From idea to conception to an actual finished product is unbelievably time consuming, creative draining and not the sexy image that everyone has about the idea of movie making. So the fact they Bey has several films in the can says something about him right there. And as for his reply to Mr Biehn, its called class and not washing your dirty laundry, if there is any, in a public forum. Bey, I'm disappointed you never invited me down for a perve, excuse me, visit, to the set of Beach Spike !!

GenkiFebruary 4, 2012 7:13 PM

Bey Logan like to say and write bad about many people. When he written for magazines it was like 50% content, 40% "Bey Logan is cool", 10% sarcastic and "dirty laundry". He talk shit about Master David Lea. Leas student knock him out!

Logan still blog and call people clown and weirdo. Why he does not talk bad things about Michael Biehn? Bey Logan scared of more powerful and popular person who can damage his career.

Also Paul can fans criticize movie without making movie? If you eat bad meal in Indian restaurant can you say it is bad if you never cook curry yourself?

Bey LoganAugust 3, 2012 3:43 AM

First, apologies for being so slow to respond to this post.

I've been busy on the film 'Borderland' and setting up our Reel East company. However, someone drew my attention to this comment and pointed out that it comes up quite early if someone Googles me. This being the case, for anyone who does read this, I'd like to state the following:

Regarding the quality of my earlier writing, others can judge. Certainly, the magazines I wrote and edited were very successful at that time. Maybe I was younger and a bit more outspoken then; weren't we all?

More importantly, as a serious martial artist, I would like to clarify a few points:

Certainly 'Master' Dave Lea is one of the biggest 'clowns' and 'weirdos' I've come across.

I have never been knocked out. Genki is right that one of 'Master' Lea's students did sucker punch me, from behind, while I was commentating on a kickboxing match. Some time later, he and I had a private match, face to face, and the outcome was rather different.

At the time, I also challenged 'Master' Lea to fight, either in public or private, but he declined.

In regard to my treating Michael kindly, what matters is that he and I fought in the trenches together for all those months on 'Blood Bond'. I know he did his best, and I don't intend to denigrate him here or elsewhere. Its certainly not out of 'fear', but respect.