Billy Zane Heads To Nigeria For Jeta Amata's BLACK GOLD

Billy Zane Heads To Nigeria For Jeta Amata's BLACK GOLD
[Updated with full theatrical trailer.]

Though you wouldn't know it from the amount of coverage it gets in the west - i.e. virtually none - Nigeria is home to one of the most prolific film industries in the world, the nation turning out scores of mostly low budget, shot on video films intended almost entirely for the sole enjoyment within the nation's own borders. But from time to time you get a director there with eyes on something a bit bigger, with aims of going international. And Jeta Amata is definitely one of those.

Amata has recruited an international cast for his latest feature, the politically themed action drama Black Gold, the most recognizable of whom is Billy Zane. Billy mostly just looks confused during his brief appearance in the teaser. Perhaps he's wondering whose idea this combination of hair and moustache was. Or perhaps he's wondering how it is that his big network TV comeback crashed so hard, so fast. See for yourself below.
FilmsOnTheWireNovember 12, 2010 1:30 AM

Todd,

I've been hearing quite a lot of rumors about this film. Your critique is based poorly and without any knowledgeable ground.

This has been one of Nigeria's most talked about films, as being the first possible landmark creation to come from a Nigerian director. and supposedly the first to stir interest and talks within US distribution markets. I've only heard rumors, but it sounds like this may be a very exciting moment for the Nigerian film market.

Here is Amata's actual official trailer release.

Link:

Regards,

Charles
Films On The Wire

Todd BrownNovember 12, 2010 12:09 PM

What critique, exactly? The part where I say - just like you - that Amata has his eyes on the international market?

cinesimonjNovember 12, 2010 5:27 PM

If you call that a critique, I wonder how you'd react to if you actually came across any actual criticism!

xinoNovember 12, 2010 7:31 PM

anything from Nigeria is below average!

This is a director from another country using better camera equipment. Even the nigerian actors are professionals.

Because believe me, Nigeria's production is well below average! Even other underrated country movies such as Indonesia, Taiwan etc They produce better quality movies.

Also the Nigerian actors cannot act for sh*!
That rebel guy is probably the best Nigerian actor, cuz he was also in Wolverine's Origin.

Todd BrownNovember 12, 2010 10:27 PM

A) You're coming across as wildly racist by making sweeping generalizations based purely on race.
B) No, Jeta Amata absolutely IS from Nigeria.
C) Are you really complaining about Amata using professional actors in his movie? Or are you somehow implying that there are no professional actors in Nigeria? You're just not making sense.

FilmsOnTheWireNovember 13, 2010 10:37 AM

Forgive me, Todd. But I guess it's the part where you said,

"Perhaps he's wondering whose idea this combination of hair and moustache was. Or perhaps he's wondering how it is that his big network TV comeback crashed so hard, so fast. See for yourself below."

Particularly "...how it is that his big network TV comeback crashed so hard, so fast. See for yourself below" [refrence Black Gold]

You basically just said that Billy Zane has proved he has hit rock bottom and 'crashed,' and that the film trailer you viewed below is an example....

So in essence,, You just railed the entire cast and crew.

By the way, unless you were unaware, there IS a difference in "critique" and "criticism." The fact you and the little guy below your comment used that word criticism makes perfect sense...

Might be worth the effort to investigate that further, given your title here on "twitch."

I'm not impressed..

Charles
Films On The Wire

FilmsOnTheWireNovember 13, 2010 10:41 AM

I'm sorry.. who are you?? Critique does reference criticism acutally. (Yet note the comment above.) And this obviously does EXACTLY that... criticizes... However, I'm sure given your response that you fail to understand the difference between the two words... Again, who are you?

FilmsOnTheWireNovember 13, 2010 10:44 AM

I agree with, Todd. Ridiculous.

Todd BrownNovember 13, 2010 5:57 PM

The difference between making fun of Billy Zane and making fun of, well, anyone else, should be immediately apparent. Billy's been the punchline to his own private joke literally ever since Titanic. I don't think he's in this because he's bottomed out - which he did better than a decade ago - I think he's in this because he never, ever says no to a job, because he's affordable, and because he's still a recognizable enough name that Amata or someone else connected to the project thought he would have value on the international market. In the sense that it got people to notice the movie I suppose they're correct on that part.

For the record - and as should be clear - I think what Amata has done here looks head and shoulders above anything else I've ever seen from the region.