Stephen Chow Remaking Bruce Lee!

Stephen Chow Remaking Bruce Lee!
I format this post in order of decreasing excitement.

Stephen Chow will begin production on his new film, Tai Chi, in June!

It's a remake of Bruce Lee's Way of the Dragon!

In English!

With Anne Hathaway?

And Jack Black ...

Oh.

The source of this is Channel News Asia who themselves cite unnamed Hong Kong media sources. The tabloids being what they are in Hong Kong, take this with a grain of salt until it's confirmed somewhere reputable but ti's certainly well known that Chow has long been prepping an English language film and this appears to be it. But Jack Black? And Anne Hathaway? Really?
wisekwaiFebruary 22, 2010 2:30 PM

Chuck Norris is probably available. Chow could reprise the fight with the walking orange shag rug.

Al YoungFebruary 22, 2010 2:33 PM

Anne Hathaway? Sure, why not. I got nothing against her but I'm not really sure about Jack Black. So are we going to see Jack play a fat version of Chuck Norris? Stephen should hook-up with his old time buddy "Uncle Tat". Damn, I miss that guy.

Peter K.February 22, 2010 2:35 PM

I was just watching some Wong Jing Chow films last night. As gorgeous as Kung Fu Hustle was, I hate the auteur Chow Sing Chi! Gimme some schlock!

Come'on Hong Kong, no body likes these Hollywood style CG fests. Give us some some shot-in-seven-days-shlock!

Todd BrownFebruary 22, 2010 2:40 PM

I'm with you on both counts, Al. Anne is a surprising choice but she's pretty diverse and hasn't really messed up yet. Jack in this, though, I think could be a nightmare ...

plissken2013February 22, 2010 2:42 PM

If this is true (I HOPE NOT!!!!), it's just the proof that Chow died after completing Kung fu hustle, to be replaced by a bad clone: CJ7 was already looking far too much at the West, then the infamous Dragaonball evolution, then...almost a movie with the far too much seen Seth Rogen, then...a remake of a Bruce Lee "classic" (not a masterpiece, far from it, but....) with Anne (why not?) and Jack Black (he USED to be funny...too bad he's just a one trick comic pony)?

Peter K.February 22, 2010 3:14 PM

Chow needs to team up with Jim Carrey.

Rhythm-XFebruary 22, 2010 4:32 PM

This Black/Chow/Hathaway project was being talked about within a week of it becoming clear that he was completely off of GREEN HORNET and not just stepping down as director - though it wasn't clear it was a WAY OF THE DRAGON remake at the time, it was just a non-specific "superhero" movie. I thought it was interesting; if it is actually a remake of WAY OF THE DRAGON, even better. Jet Li was a nice fit for FIST OF LEGEND, and Chow might be an equally nice fit for a remake of the far goofier WAY OF THE DRAGON. Hathaway is fine, and (flame away) so's Jack Black. I was never clear on one thing - would Chow be acting in this film or just directing it?

Rhythm-XFebruary 22, 2010 4:33 PM

I got absolutely nothing bad to say about Rogen after FUNNY PEOPLE and especially OBSERVE AND REPORT.

Todd BrownFebruary 22, 2010 5:39 PM

He's doing both.

Mike LeederFebruary 22, 2010 11:01 PM

Well Stephen alreayd did one 'Way of the Dragon/Return of the Dragon' inspired movie, when he starred in Danny Lee's 'Legend of the Dragon' which substituted British snooker ace Jimmy White for Chuck Norris!

And for some time 'God of Cookery' was supposedly going to be remade with jim Carrey

TushkaFebruary 23, 2010 12:39 AM

booooooooooooo

plissken2013February 23, 2010 2:45 AM

Good for you.

Agent WaxFebruary 23, 2010 5:09 AM

I don't believe this to be more than just a wild rumour. Honestly, though, Chow is getting too big for his britches. He is a COMEDY legend, to be sure, but Bruce Lee was a MARTIAL ARTS legend. Remaking Way Of The Dragon without turning it into a slapstick joke is beyond Chow's talents. .

CuttermaranFebruary 23, 2010 5:58 AM

Do you remember that italian fatso in Way of th Dragon?
The role could siut Jack Black perfectly.

zinjoFebruary 23, 2010 11:45 AM

Oh gawd no!!

Carrey's comedic timing has been off for several years now. He needs some new shtick.

Stephen Chow is well known all over Asia for his parodies and its nice to see him go back to his roots.

JackChenFebruary 24, 2010 1:47 AM

Stephen has not started film for 5years since CJ7.
The Asians are all looking forwarding to his presence.

JackChenFebruary 24, 2010 1:51 AM

I am a chinese, this is the first comment left here since I viewed this website for mony months.

AlbertVFebruary 25, 2010 4:37 PM

I think if this was the case, Hathaway would be a shoe-in for the Nora Miao role while I can only see Jack Black as the Lee Kwan role, the pudgy comic relief guy.

I can see it now.
Chow: I will show him, here's a taste of Tai Chi.
Black: Yeah! The legendary art of the legendary Tai Chi.

Yes, I mocked his Kung Fu Panda monologue

https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawlMkyASLggt9hZMz-HoneN7BXuQ2OpNpZwMay 30, 2010 9:30 PM

thanks for that