VENICE FILM FESTIVAL 2009: Award Winners Announced
This year's GOLDEN LION for Best Film went to the highly impactful Israeli war film LEBANON. The SILVER LION for Best Director was awarded to Iranian-born Shirin Neshat for WOMEN WITHOUT MEN, the COPPA VOLPI for Best Actor went to Britain's Colin Firth for his role in Tom Ford's directorial debut A SINGLE MAN and Best Actress went to Russian Ksenia Rappoport for LA DOPPIA ORA.
Other award winners included:
- SPECIAL JURY PRIZE to SOUL KITCHEN by Fatih Akin (Germany).
- MARCELLO MASTROIANNI AWARD for Best Young Actor or Actress to Jasmine Trinca in the film IL GRANDE SOGNO by Michele Placido (Italy) .
- OSELLA for Best Production Designer to Sylvie Olivé for the film MR. NOBODY by Jaco van Dormael (France).
- OSELLA for Best Screenplay to Todd Solondz for the film LIFE DURING WARTIME.
- The Debut Film Jury, comprised of Haile Gerima (President), Ramin Bahrani, Gianni Di Gregorio, Antoine Fuqua and Sam Taylor Wood, unanimously decided to award the LION OF THE FUTURE - "LUIGI DE LAURENTIIS" VENICE AWARD FOR A DEBUT FILM to ENGKWENTRO by Pepe Diokno (Philippines) as well as a prize of 100,000 USD, donated by Filmauro, to be divided equally between director and producer.
- CONTROCAMPO ITALIANO PRIZE. The Controcampo Italiano Prize Jury at the 66th Venice Film Festival, comprised of Carlo Lizzani (President), Giulio Questi, Marina Sanna, has unanimously decided to award the CONTROCAMPO ITALIANO PRIZE to COSMONAUTA by Susanna Nicchiarelli (Italy) "for its ability to recall a crucial moment of the twentieth century through the eyes of a young girl" Kodak will offer to the awarded director 40,000 euros in negative film stock - 35 or 16mm, chosen by the winner - to shoot a new feature film.
- SPECIAL MENTION to NEGLI OCCHI by Daniele Anzellotti and Francesco Del Grosso (Italy).