Brand new trailer for Johnnie To's 'Vengeance' rules like freaking lords!

Associate Editor, News; Toronto, Canada (@Mack_SAnarchy)
Brand new trailer for Johnnie To's 'Vengeance' rules like freaking lords!

O. M. F. G!

Only the other day the official French site for Johnnie To's upcoming revenge flick Vengeance went up and we've got ourselves a new trailer. Johnnie To have very likely done it again if the footage in this new trailer has anything to say about it. Holy hell it has been a while since a trailer has got me this excited about an upcoming movie, my man crush on Johnnie To aside. Look for Simon Yam, Lam Suet and Anthony Wong after the break.

“A father comes to Hong Kong to avenge his daughter whose family was murderer. Officially he’s a French chef. Twenty years ago, he was a killer“

You'd best be warned. The new trailer contains a considerable amount of violence and a dash of the hanky panky. In most instances that would qualify as NSFW but if I did that then you may never know what you're missing. You've been warned however. The utter coolness of Johnnie To is after the break.

Thanks to Tequilla for pointing the way, you glorious bastard you. I'm naming one of my children after you for the good you have done us today!

More from Around the Web

Wildgrounds also gave a heads up too.

ToryApril 11, 2009 5:09 AM

Well, he's got my money.

M@rcApril 11, 2009 5:27 AM

Damn, he always makes his actors look so cool.

conbarbaApril 11, 2009 5:45 AM

TequillaApril 11, 2009 5:49 AM

Joy..pure joy i get watching this trailer.

ChevalierAguilaApril 11, 2009 5:52 AM

I'm trying to contain myself here, but: HOLY SHIT I'M HARD!

mistereshApril 11, 2009 5:53 AM

Oh my word.

jo3yApril 11, 2009 6:20 AM

now THATS what i call a gangster film!!

PusheyeApril 11, 2009 6:55 AM

Jesus Christ, you are not kidding. Sen-fucking-sational.

kungfueurotrashApril 11, 2009 6:59 AM

Because of the awesomeness of that trailer I'm going to buy every bluray of To's movies...

PeachHipGirlApril 11, 2009 7:05 AM

That poster looks a whole lot like the Oldboy poster...

BtoFuApril 11, 2009 7:09 AM

^ Which I wasn't into - but that's the first trailer in a while I've watched numerous times. Phew.

Shirow66April 11, 2009 7:21 AM

Did anyone else get a Blade Runner feel from that trailer? Looks promising, I'm not really a Johnnie To fan but I'll prolly check this movie out.

Andrew MackApril 11, 2009 7:47 AM

cpa314: Thank you sir. My enthusiasm got the better of me. I just wanted to get it out there.

By the way do think that Johnnie ever comes across old school chums and they could be some sort of CEO, company president, political leader or key person of influence and Johnnie just laughs and says, 'Yeah? Well I fucking made Exiled and both Election films you twats!' That would be awesome.

AirchinapilotApril 11, 2009 8:35 AM

SOLD

Pre-SOLD even

arquaApril 11, 2009 9:30 AM

oh my bejesus god, after all these years, only a few trailers that make want to see the film, and this film is one of them.. please tell me this film will be release in the States theatre.. i refuse to watch pirate dvd of this movie...

pochiWApril 11, 2009 10:31 AM

quality mayhem...it also looks more mainstream friendly, or maybe just the trailer?
hoping that panky bit wasn't hallyday himself :P
and i see anthony wong has dropped the shakespearan elocution :D

The VisitorApril 11, 2009 12:53 PM

violence and humping. looks like it's going to be slapped with a Cat III rating. unless the HK cut is more toned down than the international cut.

cpa314April 11, 2009 1:14 PM

Thats okay... Election, Exiled, and I believe Mad Detective all got hit with category 3 ratings

Peter van der LugtApril 11, 2009 1:36 PM

Loved it!! Any chance the trailer is available in HD as well? This trailer deserves to be watched again... on my TV instead of my tiny notebook screen.

MishimaApril 11, 2009 3:46 PM

Couldn't agree with you more, Mack. I wasn't sure a washed-out cheesy French singer like Johnny Hallyday could pull this thing off, but I guess I was wrong.

Agent WaxApril 11, 2009 5:44 PM

Holy shit! I have been a huge fan of Johnnie To since PTU, and this one is gonna be HUGE.

steiner from marsApril 11, 2009 7:22 PM

100% Johnnie To. Definitively cool!!

Ard VijnApril 11, 2009 7:37 PM

Given the premise and the title, THIS is what I'd expect.Glad to see a trailer that keeps it simple and doesn't mess it up.

And yes, I'm now officially VERY stoked to see this film.

sonic_bangApril 11, 2009 9:07 PM

I agree with PeachHipGirl... That poster looks so much like the ugly North American release poster of Park's Oldboy.

METAL FACEApril 11, 2009 9:27 PM

gotta love To's cinematography and general style.... loooking goood!

TheDougApril 11, 2009 9:30 PM

Sonic_bang and PeachHipGirl, I agree with your observations, but you'll notice there are no umbrellas!!!
[IMG]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1949/oldboyu.jpg[/IMG]

quartet4April 12, 2009 8:36 AM

This looks intense. Can't wait.

flappyApril 12, 2009 9:04 PM

This looks more Exiled than Election and thats fine with me...

Rhythm-XApril 13, 2009 3:21 AM

Johnnie To is not "the last of the Hong Kong filmmakers", unless something truly awful's happened in Hong Kong in the last couple of days that I didn't hear about that killed all the other filmmakers. In which case, what happened?!

Itto Ogami loses DaigoroApril 13, 2009 8:13 AM

Wong Kar Wai?

The VisitorApril 13, 2009 9:55 AM

"My arguement is not to say there aren’t some greats coming out of HK. But the amount of Biggies has slowed to a trickle. "

point taken!

btw, Variety Asia is sadly no more.

shatnerApril 13, 2009 10:39 AM

Yikes!!! Variety Asia is out too!! That's sad.

Ah well think I'll watch Election again tonight. I love Big D!!

Have a good night folks. Fun discussion.

This film looks Ballsy as Hell.

MilkywayApril 13, 2009 8:12 PM

[quote]IP Man is a mainland China production with very heavy Nationalist themes, loved it but not a HK film.[/quote]

Mandarin Films is a HK-based production company, so technically that makes Ip Man a HK production. Doesn't matter whether or not the crew members are from HK or the Mainland, themes and influence of the Mainland, and that the HK flair has since the handover not been the same anymore (it's got more to do with film technology/improvement than anything else).

PiersDApril 14, 2009 12:58 AM

While film production is slowing down in Hong Kong I think that has to do more with economics than anything. Mainland China is the largest market for films made in Hong Kong and have very strict film production and distribution codes so it is not that surprising to me that there are more "nationalistic" films being made in HK. Also if you remember after the west embraced the films of John Woo, Tsui Hark and Ringo Lam there was a flood of horrendous movies coming out of Hong Kong not even ten years later. Tarantino going on about how John Woo influenced him helped bring attention in the west then Hollywood started bang out their watered down imitations killing, inadvertently mind you, a lot of interest in HK films.
When Johnnie To started doing more films in the "Police & Triad" genre that helped revitalized Hong Kong films in a big way and someday it will happen again with another director for us westerners to discover.
Until then, Johnnie To is my God!

Mr.VengeanceApril 14, 2009 10:32 AM

Anyone know what the music used in the newest trailer is?

James MarshApril 14, 2009 6:15 PM

Sorry Shatner but Ip Man is absolutely a Hong Kong movie ...and Marko Mak hasn't directed a single good film ever. Also, lovehkfilm hasn't been any good for years since Kozo lost the will to live.

Good HK films:

Ip Man
Beast Stalker
Red Cliff 1 & 2 (don't care if you dispute this, HK considers them HK films and that works for me)
Run Papa Run
Legendary Assassin
Shinjuku Incident (I didn't love it but it is still good)
Night and Fog

The industry is in decline, sure, but there's still decent stuff coming out here.