Albert Pyun Reunites With THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER Star Lee Horsley For TALES OF AN ANCIENT EMPIRE

It's time to get your old school fantasy vibe on, kids! I've been sitting on the news of this for a while now, waiting for the i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed but the deals are done and the project is now officially moving ahead. Cult director Albert Pyun is reuniting with Lee Horsley - the star of Pyun's The Sword and the Sorcerer in a return to the fantasy genre where both made their name.

Titled Tales of an Ancient Empire the new film casts Horsley as a mercenary general and father to stars Christopher Lambert - himself making a return to the genre that made him an international star - Kevin Sorbo and Victoria Maurette. There are offers out to a number of other significant stars of the genre but nothing is final on those fronts just yet.

In Pyun's words, "It's got a sexy sorceress, hordes of demonic vampires, a giant serpent, sea pirates, nasty sword (and axe, spear, leg of cow) fights and gore and nudity galore. Everything that a rousing adventure needs to have." The project began life as a proposed sequel to The Sword and the Sorcerer though I believe it has strayed some from that now and is more a sequel in spirit than in story and Pyun plans to make it as a true, hard R rated film.

More details on this as we get them! In the mean time satisfy your 80's fantasy needs by checking out a trailer for The Sword and the Sorcerer below the break!

eDWeiRDApril 10, 2008 11:42 PM

um... Chris Lambert is only 3 years younger than Horsley. Sorbo is four years younger than Horsley. Victoria Maurette I can believe, but the guys? I don't think so.

Todd BrownApril 11, 2008 12:19 AM

Guess Horsley was a virile child. Heh.

It shouldn't be that hard to pull off, really ... make Horsley up to look ten years or so older than he really is and you're probably okay. Sorbo looks much younger than he is and Lambert was looking remarkably well preserved in Southland Tales. Plus part of the point of Horsley's character is that he's been roaming, adventuring and impregnating women since his youth ... all three kids are by different mothers.

All you really need to sell is a fifteen or sixteen year age difference between Horsley and Lambert, who I assume will play the oldest son, and you're good to go. That's not hard to do.

crazybeeApril 11, 2008 1:33 AM

Chris Lambert? I'm in!

Ard VijnApril 11, 2008 2:28 AM

For years I considered Sword a/t Sorcerer to be garbage (I was still on a "Conan" high) but I have to admit this article suddenly got me excited. Strange how these things go...

Waiting for Swarez to put in a reaction, he's the biggest Pyun fan around here! :cheese:

jeda21April 11, 2008 3:09 AM

Just like crazybee says, it's a Chris Lambert movie, I'm also in!
Plus the original movie was pretty fun.

quartet4April 11, 2008 3:47 AM

All I can say is...dreams do come true. T_T

SwarezApril 11, 2008 4:16 AM

Weeeeeeeeee!

Fantastic news. Fucking fantastic.

MikeApril 11, 2008 7:16 AM

Never saw the original, but this sounds like something I would check out,

zen99April 11, 2008 8:32 AM

To say that Albert P is a soft and unexciting director is an understatement. However, I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a film of his that is of real interest and/or possessing any vitality. Am open to suggestions. Too many times, his films have been about the sizzle (poster) not the steak (movie.)

JustinDApril 12, 2008 10:30 AM

For some odd reason I'm always up to watch an Pyunn film, but after the mis-fire that was Left For Dead (Arghhhh! The CGI burns my eyes!) lets hope he just goes cheap prosthethics all the way.

freespiritApril 25, 2008 7:55 AM

I hear the latest adds to the cast are :
Lee Horsley, Christopher Lambert, Kevin Sorbo, Victoria Maurette, Inbar Lavi, Yancy Butler and Leah Cairns have all been confirmed as cast members.