Fox Yanks HIT MAN From Director Xavier Gens

*** We've just had an official response to this story from the PR arm of Fox, you can find the details here. ***

While there has been no official word on this so far I'm hearing it from enough sources very close to the film itself and the principals involved that I'm quite confident reporting it as fact. Word is out that Fox has yanked control of upcoming video game adaptation away from director Xavier Gens. This happens from time to time if a director turns in weak footage but that is not the case here. After being hired to shoot an adaptation of the ultra-violent video game Gens took Asian action films such as The Killer and A Bittersweet Life as his starting point and turned in an explicitly violent, very bloody cut of the film that apparently included a number of head shots and extreme gore moments that would have guaranteed the film a hard R rating. Which really shouldn't have been any sort of surprise if the studio execs had been paying any attention at all - it's not like they wouldn't have seen the dailies or effects work ahead of time - but apparently after seeing Gens' cut of the film the studio removed him from the project and placed Nicolas De Toth in control of a new edit of the film. Who's De Toth? He's the man behind the edit of Live Free Or Die Hard, a job he was hired for specifically to turn in an entirely bloodless version of the film and word is that this is his task with Hit Man as well. So what are we going to get? A bloodless version of the film assembled with no input whatsoever from Gens. Very sad considering just how promising the trailers have been so far.

KaminaOctober 10, 2007 10:43 AM

A bloodless, not so violent HITMAN film? There's another reason to NOT see the film anymore...

David BOctober 10, 2007 11:10 AM

Seriously guys, we have to start boycotting films like this. The only way the studios are gonna learn anything is if we stand our ground and simply don't give them any money. That's the ONLY way to hurt them. Yes, I know, I couldn't help myself and I went to see "Live Free Die Hard" at the cinema, but I wish I hadn't. That film became a hit and look where that got us...

Andrew CunninghamOctober 10, 2007 11:21 AM

Promising trailers? Promising is code for laughably inept, right?

chromegaOctober 10, 2007 5:53 PM

Totally not going to see this film if it's not Gens' version.

Collin ArmstrongOctober 10, 2007 6:32 PM

I thought the trailer looked fantastic.

Who needs or wants or thinks it's appropriate to have a PG-13 version of an MA game? That dog won't hunt, monsignor. This is very disappointing and sad for Gens - who's probably soured on Hollywood after this (and who can blame him).

ichithekillerOctober 10, 2007 6:39 PM

Sounds like something Harvey Weinstein would do. This way when the dvd comes out they can have the vaginal version and then release the Director's Cut Bloody unrated version. I can't wait to waste my money!!!!!!

sarkoffagusOctober 10, 2007 7:31 PM

Remove all the blood and gore you want, but you still have a movie about a hitman, who kills people for hire. That alone should prevent the studio from having a PG13 flick.

I'm with you guys. I'm waiting for the DVD. It's cheaper, anyway, and I won't have some old guy hacking in my ear and a little bastard kicking my seat.

PeterOctober 10, 2007 8:32 PM

What a joke. I'm with sarkoffagus on this one. The premise alone should warrant a PG13, sad is the truth that Fox wants to minimize the visual violence but still sell to 13 year olds the conceptual violence of a man who exists only to murder other people for money.

Hope it doesn't hurt Gens career, but given where he came from I'd hope this would only give him more credibility.

ToryOctober 10, 2007 10:13 PM

There's no way I'm go see this in theaters now. Oh well. I'll just wait for the Super Uncut Deluxe Edition DVD.

LT RobertsOctober 10, 2007 10:29 PM

What a pathetic move on Fox's part. It's truly a sad moment for what looked to be a promising video game adaptation (that doesn't happen all to often, if ever). An MA game should never have been targeted at anything less that an a hard R. Thinking anything else is greedy and purposeless and will only end up hurting their sales, not helping them. I'm with pretty much everyone else here... likely to never bother with the film now. It's a cash grab and cash grabs can go to film-hell.

Rhythm-XOctober 10, 2007 10:49 PM

Wait for the unrated DVD - why would I want to financially REWARD Fox in any way for their ongoing stupidity? I figure that like TRANSPORTER 2, the French version from EuropaCorp will be full-strength. I'll be importing that instead; Fox can just suck it.

Peter CornelissenOctober 10, 2007 10:53 PM

and here I was thinking hard R movies were getting back in fashion...
makes you think what really scared them so much to make such a sudden and stupid move

StefanOctober 10, 2007 11:10 PM

and I thought abridged movies were the joke only in this part of the world.

M@rcOctober 11, 2007 12:56 AM

The Hitman trailers are considered 'promising'? Honestly, Uwe Boll could not have done much worse with the same material.

CaterpillarOctober 11, 2007 3:13 AM

I guess this is the direct result of the box office success of the castrated DIE HARD 4.Gens is in very good company though, because not even a giant like Ridley Scott could stop Fox from truncating and PG-13-ifying his KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. I just find it funny that this comes from the same studio that is making a huge deal out of how hard R rated and gory their second ALIENS VS. PREDATOR flick is.

SwarezOctober 11, 2007 4:16 AM

Of course Fox are going to marked it to 13 year olds since 13 year olds are the largest group that play the game. And don't tell me that that's bullshit since the games are MA cause we all know that don't mean crap. Teens are the largest marked for computer games and of course the film is going to be marketed for them. Hopefully they will release an unrated version of it.

adaam_93October 11, 2007 5:46 AM

I'm not trying to be a dick and question anyone, but this story hasn't shown up anywhere else, unless they have sourced Twitch. As well, we have no other form of confirmation from anyone be they official or not. I just want some other sort of confirmation, nothing against you, but I really don't want this to be true.

cancelbuttonOctober 11, 2007 6:55 AM

If this is true it is very sad to hear.

lobstereyesOctober 13, 2007 12:37 AM

this is bull-shit

jackasscopycatOctober 13, 2007 1:43 AM

yea, i do agree that David Bateson should have played the role of Hitman since he is the person the appearance was created from and he is the voice of mr. 47, but i wouldn't mind the guy who plays it now to do it if they just make it gory. If they do go through with this pussified version i hope they put Bateson in there and release it way later so it will actually be worth watching somewhat.